PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane

ellie
03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Ok, for those of us "mature" shackies - who remembers: Twiggy, Goldie Hawn painted all over with a paisley-like pattern and dancing on a box on Laugh-In, Petula Clark, going to the drive-in, paying 35 cents to see cartoons, and TWO movies at the theater, mailing a letter for 4 cents and when TV wasn't on 24/7?

tojoco
03-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Who remembers black and white t.v., The Andy Griffith Show, Elvis movies, Tom Jones' gyrating hips, green stamps, a curling iron that was heated on the stove? Yikes Ellie I remembered all of yours and mine.

teabear
03-28-2007, 12:44 AM
the only one I don't know is petula clark :) LOL...I loved laugh in :)

kimmylynnd
03-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Oh how I used to love Petula Clark....Downtown....lol....oh and Tom Jones, my Mom used to go nuts every single time his show came on....sadly I remember all the above....lol

:)
Kim

tesschap
03-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I remember babysitting for my eldest cousin's kids. I hated it when the news was over as there was no more tv for the night. I always got nervous when they were out later than the news! I also remember when stores weren't open on Sunday's.

loobylou
03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey tess. our stores still arent open on sundays except in the summer school holidays and then only in the tourist precincts!,
I remember my nana heating her flat iron on the stove. I remember life before our family( Mum and Dad) had a telephone.
Sarah

tesschap
03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Sarah - I think you're lucky that your stores aren't open on Sunday. I remember so much more family time when there was 'nothing else to do'. My kids wouldn't know what to do if they couldn't find a store open 24/7. They have no idea how to plan for anything - everything is last minute. They also don't carry much cash. If they can't debit it - they don't buy it!

I also remember party line phones. My grandparents and my uncles phone were on the same line. One ring was for my grandparents and two quick rings was Uncle John's phone. Of course we'd often find grandma listening in on other's calls! Oh, those were the days!

GrammaStamper
03-28-2007, 08:15 AM
What about TV shows like Dr. Kildare, Ben Casey, The Donna Reed Show and my very favourite, American Bandstand.

dulluth
03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I remember party lines on phones. We would all listen. Remember ringer washers. When I used to stay with my Grandmother we had a outhousr. She even used catalogs.

ellie
03-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Do you remember Sing Along With Mitch....follow the bouncing ball? How 'bout Lawrence Welk and the Jackie Gleason Show...with the June Taylor Dancers and Crazy Gugenheim? What about Queen For A Day? I also remember a plastic sheet that stuck to the tv by static...it was blue on the top pink in the middle and green on the bottom. THAT was our color tv...which by the way got it's reception by an antenna on the roof and we actually had to get up to change the channel. When my kids hear that they think I came over on the Mayflower!

tesschap
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't remember Sing Along with Mitch but I do remember Jackie Gleason and Lawrence Welk. My grandma never missed Lawrence Welk's show. I think it was the King sisters or King family that appreared on the show on a regular basis and had holiday specials that she never missed either! Gram's tv had a victrola record player on one side. On Sunday's all my cousins would bring records and we'd dance up a storm in the living room. (There were 17 of us - those were the days)! I'd sometimes get off the school bus at my grandparents farm and we'd have to watch Merv Griffin and then Perry Mason before dinner!

Nancy
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Gas was 25 cents a gallon and bread about 12 c a loaf. If you earned 300 dollars a week you were already middle class. You had a crank style telephone and you had better have a good excuse to make a long distance call, you didnt talk to your classmates on the phone. They also had donkey basketball games. Oh boy guess I'll quit now, before I remember how old I really am. I also liked Howdy Dowdy. - Nancy

directmailscrapper
03-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I remember Sing A-long with Mitch! Every Sunday nite our whole family would gather around the TV and sing! I remember the first McDonalds that came to our town was a really big deal -- I think french fries and hamburgers were $.17 and $.22 (I don't remember which one was which) and we couldn't afford to eat there.

I remember visiting my Grandmother in downtown Buffalo, NY and all of us cousins getting money to go to the "Penny candy" store about a block a way -- it was actually a small general store that had a big candy counter. We kids would line up and each adult would give us each a nickel or a few pennies -- we would spend 1/2 hour at the Penny Candy store trying to figure out how to spend our $.11!

tojoco
03-28-2007, 10:58 AM
OMG Nancy I loved Howdy Dowdy and Clarabelle. Yes I remember party line telephones and your telephone number began with 2 letters. What about The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello and Bob Bowersox, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans, hot pants, angel blouses, mohair sweaters, 33-1/3 and 45 records, Mary Jane shoes. Oh, I can go on and on.

ellie
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
This is so much fun....do any of you remember the HUGE blackout in the east? It affected the entire east coast and was said to have caused another baby boom!

ccstampin12
03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
in this walk down memory lane...
I thought of a few I think were missed.
How about the original skort.....puffy panties attached to a knife-pleated skirt.
Clothes pins with playing cards attached to bike spokes to sound like a REAL motor!!!
I was in 2nd grade when we got our first TV set...always had to watch Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan, Amateur Hour, Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life......!
Loved Sherri Lewis and Lambchop, as well as Howdie Doodie.
In our area (Albany, NY) there was Freddy Freihofer.
Our music was played on a record player....78's, 33 1/3's, and 45's.
Kingston Trio
Joan Baez
Curlers...not rollers for our curls
Garter belts
I could maybe come up with more, but will let someone else join our little walk!
Joanie

tesschap
03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
in this walk down memory lane...
I thought of a few I think were missed.
How about the original skort.....puffy panties attached to a knife-pleated skirt.
Clothes pins with playing cards attached to bike spokes to sound like a REAL motor!!!
I was in 2nd grade when we got our first TV set...always had to watch Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan, Amateur Hour, Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life......!
Loved Sherri Lewis and Lambchop, as well as Howdie Doodie.
In our area (Albany, NY) there was Freddy Freihofer.
Our music was played on a record player....78's, 33 1/3's, and 45's.
Kingston Trio
Joan Baez
Curlers...not rollers for our curls
Garter belts
I could maybe come up with more, but will let someone else join our little walk!
Joanie

Joanie,

When I was posting I was getting ready to type Freddie Freihofer and had a senior moment! Are you really from the Albany area? I live 48 miles North of Albany! Small world for sure!

We also had Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo!

teabear
03-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Ahhh, penny candy! I had forgotten that one. I also remember pulling up water from the well with a pump in the kitchen at Grandma's house. We also had to use an outhouse there, gather eggs from the chickens, milk the cow, go to the garden to pick our supper in the summer, slept on the feather bed under quilts she made, and she had a wringer washer, too. Thanks for all of those fond memories.

flyingflower
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
how about cartoons like George of the Jungle & Dudley DoRight & Felix the Cat &the Batman series

Nancy
03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
today with the front seat all the way across?? - Nancy

GrammaStamper
03-28-2007, 04:09 PM
My Mom loved Lawrence Welk and I loved the Lennan Sisters. I have cut-outs, remember those, cardboard dolls with pages and pages of dresses and shoes you had to cut out and you could change them every 5 minutes! Loved those things. I always wanted to be Janet because she was the baby, like me!

tojoco
03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
How about Colorforms, Tinkertoys, having a key for your roller skates. I can remember sitting on the floor in front of my mother so she could make pin curls in my hair with bobby pins so I wouldn't have to sleep in "curlers" to hurt my head. Although I can remember her also saying to me that girls have to suffer to look beautiful!

What about the liquid filled waxed soda bottles. You would bite off the "cap", drink the liquid and then chew on the wax. How about the candy cigarettes that "puffed smoke" when you put it in your mouth.

OMG I love this; let's keep it going.

tesschap
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Speaking of pin curls - what about Dippety Do! My mom used to have that aqua colored gel stuff in the medicine cabinet. We only got to use it when we played beauty parlor on a Saturday night!