PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Tombow Markers?

teabear
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I just picked up 2 sets of these markers for a great price. I'd love to hear some tips on them before I start playing around and make a mess.

GrammaStamper
04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I can't think of any tips, Tami, but I love my Tombow markers. The colour goes on really smoothly. Hope you enjoy them.

teabear
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks Barb....there is one that seems to be clear. What is it for?

GrammaStamper
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Tami, what is the # on it?

GrammaStamper
04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
There is a # N00 and it is a Blender marker. I don't have that one, but here is a link to some colour info about them.

http://www.franticstamper.com/tombow.htm

shuggy
04-03-2007, 04:11 PM
you can either use them straight on your image or you can rub a little color on something plastic (i use either a baggie or an acrylic block) and use your blender pen for a watercolor look. i love my tombows!

JBgreendawn
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
the clear ones a blender.
so if you have chalks you can also dab that clear marker into the corner of your chalk cake and then apply that to a project too...

you just write with the marker on scratch paper till the ink part looks clear again ( they are usually stained after you use them) and thats OK as long as you are getting something that just looks Wet with no color on your scratch pad its OK to switch colors with the marker.

also you can buy re-inkers for pads then apply a few drops in a plastic say a butter tub lid and pick up the colors with the brush end of your blender and apply it that way too.

hth,

firefly
04-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Tami - I took a class a few weeks ago where we colored an embossed open image, for example, the petals on a flower head, 3 colors, light to dark, gradually coloring less and less surface with the darker colors, and then took a very small acrylic paintbrush and blended the colors (starting with the light shade) so that they ran together a little and the colors blended. Neat technique. Oh and she used something she callled magic watercolor paper. It's thicker paper with some texture to it that grabs the ink and keeps it from absorbing into the paper. HTH - Sally

shuggy
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
i'm so dumb! i don't even have tombows!! i have marvys!!!

inkinupstamps
04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Tami,
Two or three years ago I took a watercolor class in which you use Tombow markers. I LOVE Tombows! They are the best markers in my book for vibrant color as well as versatility of use.

For watercoloring if you use watercolor paper and work small amounts of the colors your want to gradiate or blend and a DAMP brush (using water- don't have it soppy...just barely damp with water) the colors will blend beautifully.

I believe Kimmylynnd also teaches watercoloring with Tombows.

Straight or watercoloring I can't say enough about Tombows.

JMO
Jennifer :)

teabear
04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Yipee! I knew you would all know about these little beauties. I think I got a great deal on them, too. I got 2 packs of 10 markers for about $22 total. Thanks so much for the tips....the clear one is a blender.

djc
04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Did anyone mention that you can use your Tombow to paint directly on the rubber dye? That way you can stamp an image that has different colors. Just paint it on and give the finished image a huff of your breath to moisten it and stamp. I love the way this looks.

Daria

mcourtney
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Love, love, love my Tombows. I've had them for about 10 years and I've only had to replace the red one just recently. Not because it ran out of ink but because I wore the tip out.

Canadian, eh
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I just took a watercolour class with Tombow markers by the lady who designs for, and owns, Sunshine Designs. Her rubber stamps are awesome, and they come with actual instruction sheets with the colours that should be painted onto the image. What Sally and Jennifer learned is what I learned as well. Ensure you use watercolour paper as it is very important. It allows the colours to blend. Most of my cards now have watercolour with Tombows. I'll upload a card today for you.

HeatherJ
05-05-2007, 05:17 AM
I usually scribble mine on a cd, then watercolour with an aquabrush. (one that is not too "drippy") I have marked right on the paper and blended it inward, but the result depended on the type of paper, so the other method is more foolproof. I think I have about 30 of the Tombows, and I love them. Haven't opened the chalks since.

HeatherJ

inkinupstamps
05-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I've been adding to my Tombow supply over the past few years a couple markers at a time. I LOVE the color they provide and are not streaky as some markers can be. My favorite method is watercoloring and the amazing way they blend. Enjoy your Tombows. I sure love mine.

Jennifer :)