PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite type of black ink?

LinzyD
11-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I just bought some yesterday and it seemed to take forever to dry and then when I tried to use watercolor pencils on the image it smeared... did I not wait long enough? I tried to be patient, but darn it I wanted to color the image right away!
Please help! :)
LinzyD

dgbearsmom
11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
But if you used a pigment ink that is probably why it took so long to dry. Some of them never really dry unless you heat set them. I usually only use the pigment inks if I am embossing. The black ink I am using now for general stamping is Memories. It's dye-based and dries much quicker. I'm not sure if it's the best, but it's what I have and it has been working well. I bought it a long time ago before I even really started stamping. It has lasted a long time. For pigment ink, I have Archival Brilliance in Graphite Black. It's kind of shimmery and looks really nice when you heat emboss it.

If you do want to use the pigment ink, just try heat setting it before you color.

HTH
Judy

nicolette
11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I LOVE black Stazon ink. I use it for everything, especially when I am coloring in with watercolors. It doesn't smear or bleed (or at least it hasn't for me).

nicole

laos348
11-07-2006, 01:25 PM
My new favorite is the Palette Hybrid Noir. Everything else I have (and I have just about every kind) seems to smudge but this one works great!

Laura

shuggy
11-07-2006, 01:50 PM
i love su basic black and stazon black. i haven't had an issue with either. i did notice when i used the versafine black for the santa yesterday it was a little smeary (is that a word?) is that normal?

angie

jdpisces
11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I use Black Memories Dye Ink. I've always used that and haven't had any problems. The only thing is that if you don't clean off your ink for awhile, it will stain a little.

Julie

Erin K
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I love the versafine and haven't had it smear on me.

I also really like the palette ink Laura uses.

Those are my two main ones. :)

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I love my SU Black Classic ink pad and Staz-On.

Jane

lost luggage
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
When I first started a few projects, I guess I lucked out when buying ink...then when I started to try to get fancy and try all these techniques, I learned that every ink is different. I now have about 4 different black inks...all for different stuff. I also just learned that you have to read the directions on each label to find out more.

stampcrazyjulie
11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I have like 5 different black ink pads. I have never had one smear. I use my Large Ranger Black one the most. I just got the Hybrid one so I have not been able to try it out yet. I think it is just trial & error! Good Luck finding what works for you! :)

teabear
11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Brilliance Graphite Black Ink pad the best, but I think I may be getting the versafine one soon.

Alli
11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't like SU black because it seems dark purple to me, I also don't like black Stazon because it stinks and stains, although I do have it and I do think it is a necessity.
My favorite is Versafine black. It is waterproof, quick drying and it doesn't stain your stamps, it wipes straight off with a baby wipe. I do all my watercoloring with versafine and I have never had any problems.

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Sometimes I might use Brilliance Graphite Black if I want a pigment ink, but for the most part I always use versafine. For my personal stamping, it can't be beat!:)

Beaglelover
11-08-2006, 02:42 PM
discovered Staz-On. OMG where has that stuff been all my life? I guess they finally have come out with some new colors as well.

Teresa

directmailscrapper
11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Mine drives me crazy! I have little threads hanging off it it and it gets all over my hands and then I get it on what I'm working on. I don't have smudging problems with it though! Do the other stamp pads get hairy?

Nancy