PDA

View Full Version : code red at school

Spartymom
04-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Yesterday Jennifer (my dd), 1st grader had a code red. A code red is when an unknown person comes into the school. The kids have to stay in the classroom, lights off, blinds closed. The principal did tell us parents to talk to our kids about it. Jennifer isn't too worried about it, she did what the teacher told her to do. But, how sad that they even have to do such a thing. Especially after yesterday at VT. The next code red will take place outside.

mahodgman
04-17-2007, 09:39 AM
It is sad that children so young have to deal with things like a code red, but also good that they are being taught safety early in life. We all need to take care because bad things can happen!

iloveflipflops
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
How scary!! I went into volunteer today and I was nervous!

My3Ds
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
My 7 yo asked last night - "Is it just that school (VT) on lock down?" I hope he understood the explanation I gave.

gigibee
04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I know how scarry that can be for little ones. My DD first year teacher and teaching special ed. Her students came in from the bus before schoolall concerned as she was threatened by a students older sibling that they were going to come and visity her during school due to a discipline situation. She went to office and said could they be on the lookout incase this wasn't just talk. Principal took it very seriously, called the parents and the Mom as very upset about the situation and said she would take care of it. She had a wonderful relationship with my DD and was involved with original problem that really wasn't even that bad.Older sibling had dropped out of school and had a troubled past, so she just didn't know what to believe. Principal notified police of threat and her class was in lock-down all day. They even walked her to her car after school. For her everything worked out and school and family worked together. I think because the principal acted so quickly it difused the situation. It is amazing what our teachers and principals face each day. Sadly, they have to be on guard all of the time.
Konnie

flyingflower
04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Many years ago when I was in 5th grade, one of the flourescent lights shot out sparks and started smoking. We all calmly walked out into the hall, the teacher pulled the fire alarm and outside we went. If we had not had all those years of firedrills, it could have been a mad house!

As scary as it is to go through code red drills, I'm glad the schools do it. Just in case something strange happens, the children will more easily stay calm. I wish that we didn't need to worry about strange things happening, though.

scrappinnuts
04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
This is a sad thing to even think about..in elementary school. I work in the school district..I go to all different schools.. I am often involved in Lock downs..sad that the kids just take it in stride. I even had one elementary kid..he is only 8.. last week say he was going to get a gun and shot his classmate..the principal took it very serious. Glad to see your principal taking it serious.