PDA

View Full Version : More stamp storage questions

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 08:23 AM
We've discussed how we store our stamps. I'm curious, though, for those of you who have SU sets or sets that come contained in plastic box/container:
1.) Do you keep your sets together?

2.) Do you separate the types of stamps in the set into other categories (i.e. keep flowers together, sentiments/word stamps together, etc.)

3.) If you keep your sets in their plastic storage case, how do you organize them?

4.) Do you stack them?

I'm asking all of these questions for my own peace of mind. I have 50 SU sets and currently they are stacked by the size of the set and then are arranged in alphabetical order of the set name in each size stack. This works OK since usually I know which set name I'm looking for. However, recently I've "discovered" sets I'd forgotten I had because the name itself on the side of the container didn't immediately ring a bell.

I like seeing all of my wood mounted stamps and have all of the rest on shelves, but with all of the SU and CTMH sets in cases, I can't see them easily.

So there is my long winded question. How do you store your wood mounted sets? Key word is SETS. :)

mahodgman
11-08-2006, 08:27 AM
1.) Do you keep your sets together? Yes or I would go crazy when it was time to sell one

2.) Do you separate the types of stamps in the set into other categories (i.e. keep flowers together, sentiments/word stamps together, etc.) No see #1

3.) If you keep your sets in their plastic storage case, how do you organize them? I stack them by set size. I try to keep up on my binder, so I don't have to go through each set to see what I want to use. I've been lazy about that lately, though, and I need to get back to it.

4.) Do you stack them? Yes, anywhere there is a little space.

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=mahodgman;6472]1.) Do you keep your sets together? Yes or I would go crazy when it was time to sell one

Mary, I had to chuckle when you said you'd go crazy when it was time to sell one because I have a small background stamp sitting on my table that I WANT TO put away and for the life of me I can't figure out which set it goes in. You'd think it would be obvious, but dadgumit if I can't find the correct set! LOL:eek:

mahodgman
11-08-2006, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=mahodgman;6472]1.) Do you keep your sets together? Yes or I would go crazy when it was time to sell one

Mary, I had to chuckle when you said you'd go crazy when it was time to sell one because I have a small background stamp sitting on my table that I WANT TO put away and for the life of me I can't figure out which set it goes in. You'd think it would be obvious, but dadgumit if I can't find the correct set! LOL:eek:

If you do break up your sets, it really is a good idea to either have notebook with all the images together or stamp off a sheet of paper to put inside the plastic box so you know what goes where. One of my SU demos does the paper in the case thing because sometimes at workshops things get all mixed up.

emmcee
11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I keep my SU sets together and they are stacked on a shelf by size. However,every so often some of these little guys manage to get out of their plastic container and give me a rough time about going back in their assigned box as they love to lounge on kitchen table :D

iloveflipflops
11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
inside my iris carts. I think they are often taking up more room by doing it this way but i can't seem to bring myself to break up the sets. It is so silly although it sounds like alot of us do that. Why is that? Maybe like Mary (or someone said) when she goes to sell the set, they are all right there together. I do sell alot of my old sets when i am tired of them. I think I am down to about 5 SU sets and that is it.

workin4stamps
11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Jennifer----I do keep my sets together for the most part. Someday in my "spare time" I would like to index them in a book. HAHAHA! Like that will ever happen.

I keep mine on a bookshelf, standing up, just like a book. With the name on the side, so I can see it. It makes them easier to pull out and put back than if they were all stacked on top of each other. I'm running out of room though. I need to expand my stamping room.

This is the method that seems to work best for me, for storage. I also have extra clear plastic cases that I keep all of my loose mounted stamps in. I try to keep similar things together in a box with those. M's $1 stamps, flower stamps, Halloween, Christmas, sentiments, etc.

Hope this helps!!!

Traci

shuggy
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
i keep them all together in the boxes. i don't know why i do. it seems when i make a card i take a stamp from a few different sets and never use a whole set!!

they are all in a two drawer of a organizer. at least they are ot of the box on the floor! i don't have any organized way of identifying them. maybe someday i'll make a list or something!

MidwestStamper
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
1.) Do you keep your sets together? Yes I do

2.) Do you separate the types of stamps in the set into other categories? I don't store them out of the boxes. I have some rolling storage with deep drawers, and I try to keep each drawer as a category: words and sayings; flowers; Asian; Celestial/Fantasy. It works pretty well.

3.) If you keep your sets in their plastic storage case, how do you organize them? Yes I do, and I put them into the drawers I mentioned above

4.) Do you stack them? Well, I stack them as well as I can in the drawers

I have a master book that I stamp all my images into, so I know what I have by going thru them. I can also tell what stamps belong together in a set. I date when I got them, and the company that makes them, and where I purchased them from.

I started a notebook where I have the images by category too, but I'm behind on that project. If I sell something, or give it away in a PIF--I try to be sure that I cross those images out in my book.

Erin K
11-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I did seperate my sets (my TAC, I only have a few SU) and pulled all the phrases and put them together and the animals and so on and I HATE IT I found that I used all of them less because I didn't feel like digging around for a phrase that would be cute with such and such stamp. I mean the good people at TAC and SU and CMTH think about what looks great together and I just undid all that! and I DO have an index of all my stamps on paper and it didn't help. I really wish I didn't do that and am going to try to get them back together soon, but it's very hard to go back now. I have stopped seperating them for now though.

I keep my SU sets in the boxes they came in, it's just easier to grab a box and sit down. I keep my TAC in CD cases, but I keep them by set now too.

Far North
11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I am trying to work towards organizing my stamps for the most effective use. To that end I have been working to unmount my stamp--it just works better for me in aligning when I stamp multiple images. But of course there are some historic stamp that will remain on wood.

1.) Do you keep your sets together? No, but then I only have about 7 sets.
2.) Do you separate the types of stamps in the set into other categories (i.e. keep flowers together, sentiments/word stamps together, etc.) yes, and within each category I sub-group types of stamps that work together.(like Maryse Carrier stamps that have a special style-I keep all her flowers together and label as such.)

I find for me stamps purchased as sets are like a songs on a CD--only some become my favorites. I recognize that I will reduce their re-sale value if don't sell them as set but that is probably what I will do. My goal is to get the most joy out of the ones I do love.

I find organizing stamps a continuing challenge!
...Jan

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I find for me stamps purchased as sets are like a songs on a CD--only some become my favorites. I recognize that I will reduce their re-sale value if don't sell them as set but that is probably what I will do. My goal is to get the most joy out of the ones I do love.

I find organizing stamps a continuing challenge!
...Jan

Jan, that's a great analogy about favourite stamps in a set and songs on a CD! I've said before that I frequently purchase used sets in an online garage sale and I've purchased incomplete sets and have been perfectly content. The ones that I did get were well worth it for the reduced price and were the ones I enjoyed. I think when you re-sell stamp sets the people purchasing will be aware of what they are or are not getting anyway.

teabear
11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
that are all in their cases in the bottom 2 big drawers of those rolling drawer carts...no organization. DH is going to build some narrow shelves for all my stamps...I still like the wood mounts :) I think I will move the SU sets to the closet shelf book-case style. The gazillion single stamps will go on the new shelves, sort of like a stamp store display. I really like the ideas everyone has, thinking I will stamp the SU stamps on pages in a small book, so i don't forget about them.

stampcrazyjulie
11-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I have no rhyme or reason to the way I store mine. I just stack them flat on top of each other for the most part. My single sets I keep loose in my Iris carts, I try to keep them together by Manufacturer if possible, and then I try to keep all of the sayings together, florals etc.

I have been wanting to do it the way Mary does them by keeping track of them in a notebook, but I only got as far as decorating the outside of my notebook! :)

I have started puting my UM stamps in CD Cases. I still think the wood mounts are too pretty to take them apart....

midnitecreations
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I used to have mine all in shoe boxes, but then couldn't find any when I needed them. I didn't have that many stamps to begin with, but still spent more time hunting for the image or not even realizing I had it. So,while watching TV, I stamped all the images and put those in a binder. I did put notes next to each image, where I got it, who makes it, when I got it (as much of it as I could remember). If the image is part of a set, I make a note of that too. I don't break up the sets, simply because the images in a set go together better than they do individually with others. Now that I've got well over a hundred stamps, I'm glad I've got this system! I add techniques for stamping that I've learned from all you ladies in this binder too.
renu

Beaglelover
11-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I sort by type (flowers, holidays, weather.....) In each box I have a booklet of the stamps I have in that box.

Also just discovered unmounted/clear acrylic stamps. I store them in the regular size CD cases and make booklets for them as well. Keep them all in plastic shoeboxes without the lids on as they are too high. Works for me.

Teresa

Beaglelover
11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
SELL ONE??????? OMG, I think I would rather poke my eye out than get rid of any of mine.

suzi_f
11-09-2006, 07:29 PM
(Sorry, I know this is an OLD thread but, I somehow got WAY behind!)

As far as "stamping" all your SU sets, you can, when the sets are new, scan the sticker sheet. That's what I do. I then have a hard copy that I glue in the top of the box, to make sure the stamp goes back into it's proper set and I have a copy of all my stamps on the computer (until it crashes again) in case I ever need to know. I could print out all the scans & put them in a book but........

MidwestStamper
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Great idea to scan the sticker sheet before I cut it up--it has the name of the set and everything--how clever you are!