PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bananas....

Kreative Dryve
04-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I know that headline sounds kind of funny, but I can not exactly use all the ripe bananas I have right now. I just made a yummy "Banana Chocolate Chip Cake", and it only used about 5 bananas. I still have about 7 in the basket.
I don't want to throw them out, so does anyone know if they freeze well, and how exactly to freeze them??
I usually have no bananas in the house because my youngest will eat about 3 a day.
Any advice will be helpful. Thanks ~MJ

dgbearsmom
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi MJ. Yes you can freeze them to use in cooking or in things like smoothies. I cut them into chunks (like 4 chunks per bannana). Wrap individually and freeze in plastic bags, Then you can just take out and use what you need. If you use them for baking, thaw first. If you want to use them in a smoothie, you can leave them frozen. They turn kind of brown, but still taste good.

I have also heard that when the bannanas reach the ripeness you want, you can put them in the fridge. The peels turn black but they are supposed to stay fresh tasting for several days. I haven't done that because black bannanas kind of turn me off, but that's just me. :wacko:

Judy

Kreative Dryve
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I know that my aunt used to eat bananas from the fridge, and the skins were black. I will try it. Thanks

loobylou
04-21-2007, 11:42 PM
freeze them whole with the skins on, store in zip-lock bags. Then thaw and use for cakes anytime you like. Also you can put a pop stick in the bottom of a peeled banana and cover half with chocolate then freeze for yummy popsicles. Store in a ziplock freezer bag too
Sarah

dreis1
04-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I just mash them and store the amount I need, usually 2 cups in a baggie, and freeze them. They turn brown, but they are perfectly fine. You will never see this in your bread or cakes. HTH Glinda

stampinmom3
04-22-2007, 10:09 AM
I just throw mine in the freezer, peel on no baggie or anything and they work perfectly for baking.

Spartymom
04-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I have an article from BH &G and it says when the bananas start to brown, cut them up in chunks and freeze them. YOu can use these in smoothies! I might make some smoothies today.

ccstampin12
04-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I use bananas in pudding. I buy the fat free, sugar free banana cream pudding or the chocolate, and cut up a banana in 4 small bowls. Add the pudding and chill. That takes care of one banana!
LOL
Joanie

Nancy
04-22-2007, 10:59 AM
house and I always buy them and put them right into the refrigerator, very seldom do they last long enough to have the skins turn brown, the insides then are still firm. If left on a counter and turn brown they are then overly ripe. Also bananas in order to get to the stores are always kept under refrigeration, my husband used to work on a banana boat. I think that is funny. They came from Brazil. - Nancy

JBgreendawn
04-22-2007, 12:06 PM
oh i thought you had to peel them to freeze them, this is a cool thread.
( i have only used mine for bread though )
that cake sounds interesting...

teabear
04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I just made banana bread this week from bananas frozen whole in the skin. They just mush out and make wonderful bread...look terrible before they get in the bread though:) LOL