PDA

View Full Version : Embossing Paste

inkinupstamps
04-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Someone asked (I'm sorry I don't remember who) about using embossing paste with brass stencils to recreate an embossed card or tag. Embossing paste has been around for a long, long time but I've just recently gotten the "bug" to play with it and the more I do the more I love it! Absolutely so FUN! As I posted in the gallery, I made my daughter's engagement card with it but I also used it for all of the wedding invitations (a different stencil) as well as on the little personalized tags that go on the fans that everyone will have at their seat (it is an outdoor summer wedding).

The paste goes on like frosting from a frosting tub. I use a pallet knife to apply it over the stencil and then a small plastic squeegie intended for embossing paste to smooth off the excess. The ONLY thing I can think of that you need to be careful with is the tape down your stencil so it DOES NOT MOVE AROUND once you've applied the paste but being sure to leave one side free to carefully lift the corner STRAIGHT up and remove your card/tag/paper without smearing the paste.

The paste dries pretty quickly. Definitely within one hour in non-humid conditions. Then the fun begins. You can chalk it, paint it (I used twinkling H2o's on the invitations) oil sticks, glitter...leave it plain. It is great.

Oh, and the paste comes in different colors too. I've not tried the metalic colors but I've seen examples and they are awesome.

BE SURE TO wash you stencils and pallet knife and squeegie IMMEDIATELY when you are finished. Simple green works well or soapy water and a toothbrush to get into the little crevices.

If you like to dry emboss with stencils you are going to love embossing paste with your stencils too. I've been seeing a much larger variety of embossing templates lately too which has gotten me to purchase so many new stencils lately...it is cutting into my stamp purchase $$$! LOL

Hope this helps. I'll post the tags and invitations sometime. The twinkling H2O's really give a soft and delicate yet shimmery effect too.

Jennifer :)

keltie
04-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks , I've been wondering about the paste as I haave seen post where people have used it . Do most craft stores carry the product?
Heather

inkinupstamps
04-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks , I've been wondering about the paste as I haave seen post where people have used it . Do most craft stores carry the product?
Heather

Heather, I haven't ever looked for it at a hobby shop such as Michaels so I'm not really sure if they carry it or not. My local stamp store carries a lot of stencils as well as the embossing paste in a variety of colors so I just get it there.

Oh, my LSS had the most beautiful examples of cards on display using the paste and they'd embossed on black card stock and used metalic gold embossing paste and it was a very, very striking and elegant card.

Jennifer :)

firefly
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
I've used the silver and gold metallic pastes and they are beautiful! Haven't tried the copper color yet.

Jennifer - a hint I learned while attending a class is to use removeable tape to tape down the stencil on all four sides. Tape the top side first. After applying the paste and removing the excess, remove the tape in reverse order of how it was applied, on the 2 sides and bottom. Leaving the top taped down, carefully lift the stencil from the paper, using the top taped edge as a hinge. That way you can check the image to ensure all the image is covered with paste. Then, holding the stencil in the air on it's hinge, carefully lift the top tape off the paper, along with the stencil. I've had good luck with this method.

Your work in the gallery Jennifer is gorgeous! You're right about all the color options too. I haven't used my stencils and paste in awhile, so guess what I'll be doing this week!

If you can't find the supplies in your LSS here's a web site that I've ordered from and their service is super: www.stencilwithstyle.com
Sally

countrycowgirl
04-22-2007, 09:07 AM
You can also color the paste with acrylic paint first and then use it.

hutchink
04-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Thank you for all this wonderful information! I will have to try to get to my LSS and see if they have any embossing paste.

Jennifer, your card is beautiful and makes me want to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!

~K

1of2shoes
04-22-2007, 01:25 PM
The first time I tried embossing paste is when Judy (dgbearsmom) came to visit. I used it a few times, but not since. Seeing Jennifer's card in the gallery inspires me to get out my paste and try again.

Here's how I did it: I laid down the stencil and chalked the design. Then I put the transparent embossing paste on top. When it dried, it looked like I had colored on top of the paste, but I didn't. You might want to try that, but you have to us the clear embossing paste.

On the snowman card, I used my prismas to color in some shading, then clear embossing paste, then superfine glitter on top of the ep before it dried. The turkey card was just chalked first then clear ep. Same with the partridge in a pear tree.

mom_on_line
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Very cool cards! Stacy introduced me to this paste. I'll have to pull it out to play with as soon as convention's over!

mjbonoan
04-22-2007, 01:43 PM
One more thing for my wishlist!