PDA

View Full Version : Caution re: leaving versamark on your stamps

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I know we had the discussion about cleaning our stamps immediately after use the other day. Just as a side note about using versamark, PLEASE be sure when you clean your stamps that you get into ALL of the crevices.

I was using versamark yesterday on a lovely "Silent Night" large background stamp. I did clean the stamp immediately, however today I can see some areas where my beautiful stamp has dried, white, crusty versamark in the rubber. I've recleaned the stamp and used a very soft toothbrush to get in between the text of the script but I just wanted to caution everyone again that just because versamark is clear it does NOT mean you can let it dry, especially if the stamp is highly detailed. If I hadn't gotten in there and got it all out the next time I used this stamp I doubt I'd have gotten a very clear image of the hymn.

CLEAN YOUR STAMPS!

HeatherJ
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the warning.... I have a habit of forgetting about cleaning when I use versamark since it is "out of sight..out of mind" but I'll make a point to do that now!!

Erin K
11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I know! I love versamark ink, but it really is one of the most difficult things to clean off your stamps. I make sure I'm extra careful with it, lots of inks will just stain the stamp if you don't clean them, but this stuff makes them nasty.

iloveflipflops
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I do clean mine but i am usually in a hurry so i will have to take my time with my versamarked stamps. Thanks Jennifer for the heads up!

suzi_f
11-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I can never seem to get all the versamark (or certain versacolors) off my stamps. The stamp cleaner doesn't work, soap & water doesn't work. I don't have stayzon cleaner (mostly 'cause I've never used stayzon). Now, I'm afraid I might have ruined somes stamps. I figured I was just being too anal & a little versamark wouldn't hurt anything......

iloveflipflops
11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
from rubber but I would think it would be very greasy. I have not tried it yet so be warned! ha ha

lost luggage
11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm telling ya...the "stamp ladies" swore by "goo gone". I am picking some up tonight.

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Goo gone is great for some things, but I'm just not prepared to use it on my stamps. It leaves such a greasy residue, which is what it is good for on some things, like removing stuck on paper and such, but I just am not sure about using it on my stamps. Call me a skeptic, but I'm not going to use it yet.

cindi
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
LOL!! no, you are NOT old enough to be my mom! I too keep a soft toothbrush to ade me in clean ing my stamps! It works great, I wanted to point that out!:)

tojoco
11-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Girls, we use a lot of Goo Gone at the store to take off price labels. It is extremely greasy. I would definitely think twice about using it on rubber. I've never tried it but I agree with Jennifer. It may not be good for your stamps. Joanne

stampcrazyjulie
11-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Thank You all for your tips & info on this subject! I too have been guilty of not thoroughly cleaning my stamps after using Versamark because it looked clean.... :)

suzi_f
11-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Have any of you heard of Kiss-off stamp cleaner. Another board I'm on (ok, i just read the emails & see the pretties they create) keeps talking about this stuff. They say it's better than stayzon cleaner. Sounds like you can get it at Michaels & one girl said Walmart.

Erin K
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I haven't, I do use this stuff made by Stewart Superior, TAC sells it as their main stamp cleaner. Anyhow it even cleans my stazon perfectly. I also have some bubblegum smelling kind, but it doesn't clean as well for more permanant inks. (it leaves stains, but that's really ok ya know?)

I've heard of people using simple green house cleaner, but I tried and it was just ok. By this time I have gallons of stamp cleaners! hehe

suzi_f
11-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I also have some bubblegum smelling kind, but it doesn't clean as well for more permanant inks. (it leaves stains, but that's really ok ya know?)

I have that same cleaner. I've only used that & SU & they seemed comparable. Most of the time tho, i just use water on my scrubby pad thing. Exception being, when I use versamark.