PDA

View Full Version : craft fair

shuggy
04-25-2007, 08:51 AM
me and my cute mom have decided to do a craft fair. only we have no idea how!! do you have any suggestions? what works, what doesn't? we will have a 6 foot table to use. do we just dispay cards we want to sell? should we make packs of kits (like a pack of 10 bday cards)? i need your idea!!!

teabear
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Angie,

You and your cute mom will have fun. Take a colorful table cloth to put on your table and some boxes to put under the table cloth to make little stands and give some height and depth to your display. Make up some packets of cards and some singles. It helps if your pricing gives a break on the packets, the larger the packet the better the deal. You'll sell more that way. If you have some kind of small yummy candy on your table as a freebie, people will stop to get a candy and you can chat them up. I've found that talking to people with no pressure makes more sales than anything.

If you can come up with some ideas for small gifts or gift bags or something like that, it will help sales. Try to include whatever holidays are coming up. Like graduation, mother's day, father's day, weddings, 4th of July. People will buy anything that is original and packaged well.

emmcee
04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Follow Tami's lead, and you should have a great day! You and your cute mom will have a lot of fun. :laugh:

stampcrazyjulie
04-25-2007, 09:56 AM
What Craft Fair, Angie? I was thinking of doing one ion the Summer time, but not sure.....I love to buy pre-packaged cards and other fun homemade goodies. You could make magnets & magnet boards......

logcabincreations
04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Will it be inside or outside? If outside, be sure to rent a canopy if you don't have one.

Cover your table with something that goes all the way to the ground so you can "hide" things underneath: re-stocking merchandise, shopping bags for your customers' purchases, your money bag, a cooler with snacks and drinks, be sure to have available your contact information or business card. Use lots of bright, cheery, attractive colors for your table and displays.

Good luck and have fun!

Jan

p.s. Make sure you have plenty of change so you don't have to leave your table looking for some.

ctmhgirl
04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
You will need losts of $1 bills. You could make checkbook covers. I did really good with those at my last craft fair. Bookmarks, page layouts, covered books and make sure you have some manly looking items too.

midnitecreations
04-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Everyone has good advise. I haven't done craft shows in a while, but my advise would be wear comfortable shoes. Even with chairs provided, I stood most of the time. It's hard to talk to anyone, sitting down. Good luck. I miss doing them.

Angie
04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I do a lot of craft shows I will be doing about 20 this year. It is so hit and miss here in PA. Cards sell good at some shows and then not so good at others. Make sure you have a canopy rain and moisture do not mix with paper. Other things that sell good are. Altered notebooks, Bandaid tins, you can even try stamping on candles and soap. Magnets, pins, so many things you could try. After doing a few of these you can get an idea of what people are looking for. Another good idea is have a little sign that you can do special orders if this is something you arer willing to do. People like to be treated special. I would maybe even suggest a drawing. Like for a $10.00 Gift Certificate for your handmade items. Or like for a box of cards etc. People like free things. These are just some ideas I have tryed. Each event is diffrent though.
I hope this helps.
Other suggestions here are very helpful too.
Blessings

Christie
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm glad you asked this Angie. I'm doing a fair in August and it will be my first. This helped to answer my questions too!

Canadian, eh
04-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Good luck with your shows ladies!

moosemama
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Angie-I am doing a craft fair on 5 May-I am in the same boat as you, I have never done one before! I decided to make some altered items, lots of notepad holders, picture frames for holding post it notes(the arcrylic ones), nugget boxes with the chocolates,some photo wallets, and some mini albums. I also bought some mini composition books which I will alter and sell. So far, I have about 80 items, and I am not going to sweat not having more, otherwise I will drive myself nuts! I am buying some baskets at the dollar store to put my stuff in and I made samples of everything so that people can see what they are getting, as I am putting the goods in cellophane bags with a topper. Good luck and I'll let you know how it goes when I am done!

shuggy
04-25-2007, 06:46 PM
oh my!! you guys have the best ideas!!! thanks so much! it isn't until may 19th, so we have some time to prep.

julie, i don't know where it will be. it's for jet blue or something. my aunt told us about it.

JBgreendawn
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I have considered doing this also.

Last year i dragged my best friend around to the local ones and there was not a single paper crafter or party plan consultant for any stamp or scrap Co. and any of them... It was all wood painted things or older garage sale find things, or Quilts, things that take considerable time to create and cost lots of moola...

My thoughts would be to have the cards inside those plastic bag/envelope things so that people could pick them up without getting them dirty.
besides the cards i was thinking maybe have a few altered items. they have some really cute stuff you can alter at Oriental trading co. (like they have 4X4 sized clip boards that i think are thin enough if you altered them and put enough magnets on the back they could be really cute) ( and maybe have some blank ones for the people coming through who do paper craft to buy to make their own?)
things that are not seen in the stores where you live i guess.

the gals at split coast ask this alot and there are some interesting threads there on it. i think one thing they all mentioned that sold good for most of them was little things they could put .50 cents or 1.00 tags on like magnets or something too.

hth,

im4mycats
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
mY SIL & I did one around Christmas...she did wonderful on 3 x3 tiles coasters....sold in a set of 4, plus the little tiles and made into magnets...I had no luck...I had checkbook covers, note cubes decorated, lunch tins...dominoes were my best seller....GOOD LUCK....you got a lot of good infor here to help you out! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

dreis1
05-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Kids love to make cards. You could stamp some Mother's Day Cards. Put them in a baggie with two or 3 crayons and sell them for the kids to make. Father's Day would also work for this too.

Be sure to put a copy of the inside verse on the back side (seperate piece of paper) so they don't have to take the card out of the envelope. HTH Glinda

tesschap
05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Great ideas. Good luck.