PDA

View Full Version : Tile Coasters

nicolette
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I am interested in learning how to make tile coasters. I have seen kits at the stores, but wondered if you could just buy the tiles anywhere or if you need special ones to work on. Can anyone give me some directions to do them and the tools you need, and where to get the supplies at?

Thanks,
Nicole

Erin K
11-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I was just logging on to ask about these!

I'm thinking of doing them for my TAC party next week

How long and what temp do we need to bake them at? Do we HAVE to bake them?

What kind of sealer are you using?

They are way cheap right?

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 07:40 PM
there is some technique involved but you won't have any problem at all. REALLY! :D

I buy my tumbled tiles in a box of 9 tile for about $6.00 Canadian dollars (less in the states) at Home Depot.

Watch this video and then I'll tell you how I do mine afterward. The video really is self explanatory. http://www.sugarloafproducts.com/asp/video/library.asp Then just scroll down to the link for the Altered Tile Video.

I bake them just like they say at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. I do, however, bake mine to heat set after every new colour application.

When finished I use contact cement to affix a cork backing. I prefer cork to felt because if felt gets wet (say, for example, a glass of liquid sitting on the tile coaster spills) felt gets pill-ey and falls apart. Cork will dry and works a whole lot better. It protects your table and the contact cement is GREAT for keeping it on.

ALSO, before applying the backing (cork) I give my tiles AT LEAST three light coats of KRYLON triple thick glossy enamel. Use the spray. Anything you have to apply with a brush leaves unsightly brush strokes on your tile.

Any questions? Just ask!:D

Erin K
11-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Jennifer, do you think this is something that could be done and ready to go home in a two hour stamp club?

lost luggage
11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
When I made the tiles I posted, it took all day. The problem is that when you bake them for 15 minutes, it takes a long time before they are cool enough to work on again..

I stopped baking them and used my heat tool to set my second set. It worked, however the tiles still retained the heat a long itme.

kulakid
11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
as we speak!!! OMG, they are ADDICTING! And EASY! (surprisingly!) Jennifer's directions are super, and you will have so much fun with them, and love the result...hmmm, do you think everyone on my gift list would like coasters for Christmas??? LOL Go ahead, try it!

Oh, and Erin, I am not going to answer your 2 hour time question...I have been doing mine all afternoon, so I can't really say...BUT those tiles stay hot for quite a while after baking them, so there may not be enough time between steps...let's see what someone says!!!

***Mine only take that long because of the kiddos, and everything else going on during the day...that's just me!!!

inkinupstamps
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
when you bake them it does take a while to for the tiles to cool and the colour medium you choose does not work well on a HOT tile! (I tried, it doesn't)

I'd say from start to finish you need about 4 hours.

Can you do it in two classes?

nicolette
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I have a couple of questions;

Are the edges sharp?
What kind of colors do you use on them.(if I want to color in an image that I stamped)
Can I use Stazon ink for the initial stamping of the images?
Will SU watercolor pencils with a blender pen work?
And I am not sure if it is okay to ask this, so I apologize in advance; can you transfer photos, and if so, does anyone know how or have a link to directions?

Thanks,
Nicole

patg
11-09-2006, 01:17 AM
You can also heat set your tile with your embossing tool.

I did mine in a class and used the embossing tool. I then sprayed 4-5 coats of clear coat (in a well ventilated area).

Good luck!

Pat

patg
11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi Nicole

I should have answered your question too. Yes you can use staz-on ink for your initial stamp. Heat set with your embossing tool and then I usually colour with chalk and then spray.

You can also use dye ink from SU, but the colours are not as vibrant.

Sorry, I don't know how to transfer photos, but if you find out, let me know.

Pat

michelle328
01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I've made bunches of them and just love 'em! First, you need unglazed tiles...I've got some from both Home Depot and Lowe's. The ones from HD are sort of amber colored which can be cool for some looks. The ones from Lowe's are more white so it doesn't distort your colors.

I don't like to seal mine because their being a bit porous makes them function better as coasters in my opinion. So, I stick with StazOn and Sharpies. It limits media somewhat, but once the coaster is baked (350 deg 20 mins) it's colorfast.

Sometimes I just HAVE to use something that needs sealing, and I try to keep it small and just seal the image, not the whole coaster.

At my local dollar store, I found the little round cork or felt pads...16 on a sheet for $1. That'll do a set of 4 coasters. The pads are about as big around as a nickel and I find it's plenty to keep from scratching furniture but way cheaper than covering the whole bottom.

They make great gifts but you sure don't want to ship them! I often get the 6 x 6 tiles as well and make a matching trivet with them...they're also very pretty.

Looking forward to seeing your new coasters in the gallery soon!

Michelle

tesschap
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I buy tiles at Home Depot or Best Buy. I use Stazon Ink for the main image and color in with Sharpie Markers. I use my heat gone to heat seal the image and I cover the back with either felt or cork. I've never baked mine in the oven. We did these for a 4-H project and they were a major hit!

Good luck.

Teresa

LuV2stamp27
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have done stamping on tiles in a hour with a stamping club.
You can get the tiles at Home Depot and they are relativley cheep. Use staz-on to stamp on the tiles but becareful as the stamps may slip causing the image to not come out very clear, and it's hard to get all the ink off. Use your heat gun to set the ink (this only takes a few minutes). If you desier some extra colour I would suggest using sharpie markers, I have used other kinds of markers and they don't work. Once the marker ink is dry then you can spray it with krylon spray (clear spray) to seal the project. I also put small rubber feet that you can find at Home Depot as well to finish the bottom.

Hope this helps
Amanda

lost luggage
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
lol I am having de ja vu! :) How do you spell de ja vu?

patg
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Jennifer, do you think this is something that could be done and ready to go home in a two hour stamp club?

Erin,
You can heat set the tile by using your embossing tool.

Pat

patg
01-09-2007, 01:00 AM
I have a couple of questions;

Are the edges sharp?
What kind of colors do you use on them.(if I want to color in an image that I stamped)
Can I use Stazon ink for the initial stamping of the images?
Will SU watercolor pencils with a blender pen work?
And I am not sure if it is okay to ask this, so I apologize in advance; can you transfer photos, and if so, does anyone know how or have a link to directions?

Thanks,
Nicole

Hi Nicole,
You can use stazon ink for the initial stamping of images.
I've coloured with su chalks, felt pens. I don't see why watercolour pencils and blending pen would not work.

About transfering photos, I have never done that. If you get instructions, let me know.
Pat

KylaMaestas
01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I did a tile class over the summer and it was a lot of fun. I got the tiles from Home Depot. We stamped on them using Stazon, then we colored them in. The girls had a great time coloring in the images using the Stampin Pastels and q-tips. When we were finished we took them outside and gave them a quick spray to seal everything and they were done. The girls made 2 sets of 4 in about an hour and a half. These instructions were given to me by a fellow demonstrator and my first concern was.... sealed, won't the sweat from your classes just roll of the side of the coasters and onto the tables anyway?? Well she said trust me and I did. We have had no problems what so ever with the tiles, sealed works just as well and was so quick and easy.

(Some of the girls who attended my class have since made more tyles and they have colored with just about everything (SU markers, SU blender pens and classic ink) and they all seem to turn out great).

Happy Stamping!!

P.S. I can post some samples if needed, just let me know!