PDA

View Full Version : Question for all my shack friends with dogs.....

workin4stamps
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
How do you know if your dog just has a "common cold" or "flu", or something more serious? Is there a way you judge whether you just wait it out, or when you decide to take them to the vet???

Colby has had a bit of a cold it seems, for the last 3 days or so. He's raspy when he breathes sometimes (not always...just sometimes), and he's been sneezing every now and then, and his nose has dripped on and off.

Colby is my first dog, so this is all new to me!!!

:-)
Traci

irishchristine
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I would bring mine in. My dog, Bailey always has a loose stool when he is sick.

mydogstinks2
04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
If it has been three days I would take him in. When mine have a cold if it's not gone in three days that is when I take them in. It may aslo just be the spring allergies too. but the vet would let you know for sure.

Artyfarty
04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi traci..... I would ask myself is Colby his norm bouncy self and eating normally even though he showing signs of a cold? if not then I would def take a visit to the vet..its always best to be safe than sorry and it will also put your own mind at rest..it may well be just a simple cold but as you point out you never know esp as animals cant tell us and rely on us to that for them.
let us know how he is and how you get on.
Sue xx

workin4stamps
04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi traci..... I would ask myself is Colby his norm bouncy self and eating normally even though he showing signs of a cold? if not then I would def take a visit to the vet..its always best to be safe than sorry and it will also put your own mind at rest..it may well be just a simple cold but as you point out you never know esp as animals cant tell us and rely on us to that for them.
let us know how he is and how you get on.
Sue xx

oh, yes!! Good point.... He has been eating normally, and seems to have a pretty normal amount of energy. He might be sleeping a "little" bit more than normal....but not all the time or anything.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice!! Of course I don't want him to be sick, but I hate to jump the gun on every little thing too, you know?? I really appreciate all of your inpute!!

Traci

midnitecreations
04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
If Colby isn't eating or drinking like normal, then I would take him in. It's more likely allergies, but the vet would be the one to tell.

tesschap
04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Three days of unusual behavior - sickness wise - and we usually take Bentley to the vet to be checked out. I'd take him in. I hope he's feeling better soon. Do keep us posted.

ellie
04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree with everything they say...esp. the part about eating. If you can HEAR him breathing...I would definately take him in...I don't know if they can get bronchitis or pneumonia but I would check just to be sure.

Christie
04-26-2007, 02:19 PM
If it were me I would take him to the vet.

stampinmom3
04-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I would take him to be checked too. It could be an upper resp. infection,or seasonal allergies. Either way, they can help him out. My lab gets a rash every spring all over his belly and we go to the vet and spend about 100.00 for his meds and then he is better. He has an allergy to something in the grass. So far so good, hasn't gotten one yet. I am sure though as soon as I stop typing this one of his little bumps will appear. LOL.

iloveflipflops
04-26-2007, 05:30 PM
This is what I do -- if he is eating good and acting good, let it go. If not, take him in.

That's my motto.

hbpuppy
04-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Ditto to Sherri's comment. I agree with the ladies above that it is probably allergies. Dogs are like people in that department. I pretty much only take my dogs in if they are bleeding. Everything else seems to go away with time.

workin4stamps
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
well----I ended up calling the vet's office after all, and they said that it would probably be okay to give him till Monday and see if he improves. If not, then take him in. He doesn't sound raspy all the time...just every now and then---- so it's not like he's having trouble breathing or anything. So----I'll see how he does over the weekend, and go from there.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Traci

irishchristine
04-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I just got back from the vet for Baileys check up and I never knew it was so expensive for shots! My hubbby usually goes with him. Next friday he is going for a teeth cleaning and it starts at $150.Wow who knew.