PDA

View Full Version : Life at my house....

shurlyjean
04-28-2007, 08:25 AM
It is different. My dad passed away 2 1/2 weeks ago and mom has moved in along with a cognitively impaired 58 year old man that worked for my dad for 40 years. He is now helping my hubby on the farm. My mom hates being alone, so I have had to find people to sit with her or take her to town. My mother-in-law has been helping a lot, bless her heart. Even hubby has taken her to town (he and her have had words,so I have been the mediator. I do think they have come to an understanding... thank God). We FINALLY got the satellite dish installed. My mom would watch TV all day.... so I pray that this helps during the day. She wants to go back home, but there is no way at the present time since she doesn't drive due to vision. Hopefully someday she will get eye surgery and this may make it more likely for her to go back home and live independently. She is physically and mentally capable.

Now I know the saying "One Day at a Time" means.

Yesterday I had an all day meeting at 2 hours away. I had it arranged for my co-worker to come out at 10:00, but she got called into work when my other co-worker called in. I didn't find out until noon. My mom was by herself. My hubby couldn't get back because someone got stuck on the farm and he had to pull him out. My mother-in-law couldn't come out because she wasn't feeling well and and I was away. My mom coped, but was upset. It was probably good for her to get a little alone time practice, but gee wiz.... My co-worker finally got to work and I told the other co-worker to come out to our house, which she did by 1:30. The satellite guy came at 3:00 and I finally got home by 6:15 and the satellit guy was still there.

What a day. Today we go down home to check on the farm and the kitty-cat heard. Then we come back for soccer.

Thanks for listening.

Shirley:cool:

MidwestStamper
04-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Shirley, I didn't realize that your Dad had passed away--sorry to hear that. Sound like alot has been going on, besides your computer problems. I'll be keeping you in my prayers--I'm sure it's not easy dealing with all these changes and with your Mom and her feelings.

emmcee
04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Shirley, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You need some prayers, friend. What a day you had. And I agree with you, it was probably a good thing for your Mom to be alone for a little while anyway.

Take care Shirley

teabear
04-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Shirley, I hope things settle down into a routine for you soon. It's got to be hard to have so many changes all at once. I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.
Tami

Nancy
04-28-2007, 10:45 AM
and your mom, I am sorry I didn't know.

With all you have going on, I'm tired. Don't get yourself run down. just keep desinated jobs to everyone. Thank goodness for the TV, that should help you, people use it for a babysitter for little ones, guess when a person gets older, it can be used again. Hang in there. - Nancy

Paula Carden
04-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I hope you will soon be able to make all of this work, sorry about your dad.
It is tough, but sounds like you are doing all you can. It is hard to find sitters for folks, do you have an adult daycare in your town or respite care, sometimes that helps to give a necessary break. Take care of yourself, don't forget that is as an important as taking care of everyone else.
Paula

moosemama
04-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Shirley-my condolences to you for your fathers passing. It sounds like you are going through alot right now. Hopefully your mom will get somewhat used to someone not being there every minute of the day. She's probably going through alot of changes also. Take care and I will keep you in my prayers

buggainok
04-28-2007, 11:45 AM
So sorry to hear about your dad passing away. Sounds like your plate is more than full with all the changes that has brought. Hang in there one day at a time. I hope things settle into a routine soon.

mjbonoan
04-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Shirley, my heart goes out to you. We lost my dad 10 years ago when he lost his battle with cancer, we're still trying to cope. At the time my mom was 52 and my baby brother had just turned 11, they came to live with us and stayed for about 3 yrs. There were good days and bad days. My mom has always been very independant so she continued working until she retired last December. About 3 yrs after dad passed she met a "winter Texan" and they have "bonded" he moved here and lives in a trailer park (no hanky panky between them), since they are both very religeous. I've learned that life falls into place, it's never "normal" again. We have to create a new normal...I pray that your family and specially your mom will be able to get through this the best way possible.
My condolences to you and your family. You are in my prayers.

{{big hugs}}
Mary Jayne

Canadian, eh
04-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Shirley, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Hopefully things will go better for you and your mom.