+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Longaberger Baskets and wood oil (in reply to Stacy's question)

Longaberger Baskets and wood oil (in reply to Stacy's question)

Stacy and other LB basket owners:

Stacy had asked whether to put wood oil on the baskets. I personally wouldn't recommend it because it may "activate" the stain they place on the wood. The baskets are not sealed, and the stains are water-based. I don't know if it would re-activate the stain and then you may end up with a funky color on your baskets. Just keep them in a room that's not too dry or too humid (interesting thing about the humidity though...I've kept baskets with colored stains in my bathroom, and they've done just fine).

You can treat the lids with the furniture oil since those are sealed with polyurethane (or something like that), but like I said, I wouldn't do it to the baskets, themselves.

If there are other LB consultants who are knowledgeable about this, please do share your experience or recommendations.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

okay cool,
    I was just eyeballing mine a couple of weeks ago thinking i had never "cleaned them" and they all look just fine even the old ones you know?
    ( i have never cleaned the fabric liners either. and they don't look bad at all the plastic thingys protect it i guess...)

The only thing I've cleaned on mine is i have washed the plastic things in the sink and thats it.

gosh i love these baskets... ( when i win the lotto i would buy a whole bunch more of them haha) (only gotta buy a ticket one of these days
    ~Stacy

My Blog

I use to sell LB baskets and you are correct, Ethel!

~K
    Hugs,

You are special. Never stop believing that.

My Blog

If you need to "clean" your baskets, I would invest in a paint brush (with long, but stiff bristles). Brush your baskets to clean off the dust, and you should be good to go. To clean the fabric liners, wash in cold water and let it air-dry. Then, iron it. After seven washes, you'll probably want to scotchguard it again, especially if you plan to use your baskets when serving food.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

5. Ditto to the above. I was going to say, use a dry paint brush to dust them off. At one time (like in the early 80s) it was suggested that you use water to clean, but that is no longer true. A gentle vaccuum or dry brush is all they need. The stain may darken somewhat over the years, but it is subtle and adds to their beauty.

Hi Stacy. I was a consultant for a few years until a few years ago. I was taught to dust the baskets with a paint brush but if they need a little more of a cleaning, then you can use a baby wipe. As far as the fabric liners are concerned, hand wash them. To dry, turn over the plastic liner for the basket and place the fabric liner over it, right side down, to shape and let dry. The plastic liners are meant to be hand washed. No dishwasher.
    Heather

We Grow By Our Dreams (my blog)
    Grow Home (my Etsy store where I sell vintage stuff)

OK.....so here's another question for everybody.....who LOVES these baskets, wish they had more, but can't "afford" them? (like in the same way that we love our rubber stamps)
    Ethel

I have a box of these somewhere in my basement storage. Don't remember which ones but, if someone is interested in them I'll dig them out. I know there is a "sleigh basket" w/ a metal stand, one that has a wood lid w/ compartments for an office type thing, probably 5 or so more that I don't remember. All of them were bought in the mid to late 90's - let me know. Oh, and since I have NO idea what I paid you can get them cheap.

Cathi

9. Cathi, you really need to check the prices. I think that Sleigh basket might be worth quite a bit. Of course, I may be wrong & it's a different basket. That having been said, if you really want to get rid of them.....I can give you my address I could even drive up to get them next time I'm heading to Chicago.

The last thing i bought i actually found these on ebay and some of them go for crazy amounts of money but i got a package of two different colors of fold over liners for the large boardwalk basket for are you ready? 9.99 whoo... i was so thrilled. the party i hosted for that basket when it was a hostess thingy i had to have a 500 party just to buy it for half price, so, after a half price basket and the plastic thing there wasn't enough money in the blow pile to get the fabric too i don't remember what it used to cost but way more then 5.00...
    ~Stacy

My Blog

+ Reply to Thread