+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chat Room Logs

1. Chat Room Logs

Hiya gals,

I received the following question via email twice today and thought that it was a valid question and one that should be answered publicly.

"Can you read everything that happens in the chatroom even when your not there?"

The answer is yes. The chat software keeps a record of the conversations that take place in the chat room. However, the chat log only keeps a record of the chat log for 24 hours. After that, it is automatically deleted by the software and the chat log begins again. It does not keep record of every single conversation that has ever taken place forever and ever.

Every once in awhile I skim over the chat logs just to be sure that the conversations taking place in the chat room are acceptable (ie. nobody is being harassed). I do not sit down and read the chat logs like a novel nor do I read them on a daily basis. I honestly wouldn't have the time even if I wanted to!

This leads me to another question that was once asked.

"Can you read our private messages?"

Absolutely not. Neither administrators or moderators have access to read the private messages stored in our system. Even if I could, I would never dream of invading anyone's privacy in that way.

If anyone has any other questions they would like answered, by all means, fire away!
    Last edited by Sherry; 08-05-2007 at 06:48 AM.

2. Thanks Sherry! It's nice to know such information. Do you know if that would be pretty standard for "most" forum setups or is there a lot of variation between software?...just curious.
    ...Jan

3. Wow...this thought had actually never crossed my mind. However, I guess common sense told me that, being the "woman in cotrol," you could see everything. I honestly have nothing to hide... neither in the chat nor the PM's. You are totally right, imagine how time consuming it would be if you had to watch over us on a constant basis. That would totally consume your time, I know that it's hard for me, being that I have a full time job, to even keep up with daily posts. Therefore, I only respond to those where I might have a positive input for someone and I usually only chat in the evenings when I'm trying to relax a bit... I love it there, everyone is very friendly and helpful, always full of good advice and lots of laughter (LOL)... I have never come across any negativity towards anyone there or anywhere in here!!!

Thanks for this great information...
    Mary Jayne
    Mary Jayne
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

It hadn't occurred to me that you would have chat logs. At first when I heard this I admit I felt "violated", but as i think more about it, it is a good thing. If something bad is happening to anyone in the chat, if they contact you immediately then you would be able to check the chatlogs. I know that evidence from chatlogs on MSN has been printed and used in court as evidence. We also have the ability to save a conversation ourselves should the need ever arise, (there is a save button at the bottom of the chat page)
    I am glad you have announced it to everyone- it will keep us using our best manners!!! LOL
    Sarah
    Sarah

This is good to know. I myself am a chat junkie I love it there, and I really don't care who reads it or not because I tend to always speak my mind. Besides the chat is a huge stress reliever for me. And just like everything else in life we will find many different opinions in there, but that's what makes it more enticing. We all have different opinions and likes/dislikes, but it's all good! Sherry I'm glad you took the time to let all of us know about this.

BTW, I LOVE YOU ALL!! So come on and join the rest of just chat junkies we are usually on in the evenings, but all are welcomed, and we really do have lots of fun!! See ya there.........OR..........B........SQUARE
    Last edited by MyRnAbS; 08-04-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Quote Originally Posted by Far North View Post
    Thanks Sherry! It's nice to know such information. Do you know if that would be pretty standard for "most" forum setups or is there a lot of variation between software?...just curious.
    ...Jan
    Hi Jan,

Every forum software/chat software is different in the way of settings and function but most forum set-ups do not allow administrator access to private messages. I won't say it can't be done because it can. Just recently there was a huge debate/argument on the vbulletin website because someone had created a hack that would allow admins and moderators to read private messages. Most forum administrators were deeply offended by this (including myself) and we argued that this was a huge violation of privacy. The debate got rather heated and the hack was ultimately removed. This doesn't mean that it still isn't in circulation though. If, you happen to visit a website with a dishonest forum administrator then anything is certainly possible.

If I could give any kind of advice, it would be to use caution on what type of personal details you provide on any website. When using chat rooms, remember that almost ALL of them have some sort of message logging so you might want to be extra careful there. I definitely wouldn't provide credit card information or anything like that.

Also don't be harassing peeps in PM's because they will just forward them to Sherry or a mod...

I'm only teasing, I don't think we have a big problem with harassers here.

This is all interesting to know.

8. I've always felt safe/secure here at the Shack, and being that it's a paid membership... I'm very comfortable with the idea that "non members" do not have "full" access... As you know the "active members" here will always communicate with each other at one time or another... I feel like we are "One Big (happy) Family" where we should all be able to trust each other!

Thanks for all this geat and valuable info.
    Mary Jayne
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

9. Quote Originally Posted by loobylou View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me that you would have chat logs. At first when I heard this I admit I felt "violated", but as i think more about it, it is a good thing. If something bad is happening to anyone in the chat, if they contact you immediately then you would be able to check the chatlogs. I know that evidence from chatlogs on MSN has been printed and used in court as evidence. We also have the ability to save a conversation ourselves should the need ever arise, (there is a save button at the bottom of the chat page)
    I am glad you have announced it to everyone- it will keep us using our best manners!!! LOL
    Sarah
    I'm so sorry that you felt violated, Sarah
    I guess I just assumed that everyone was aware of the existence of chat logs. Like you said, the user themselves are able to save chat sessions so the information is obviously being stored somewhere. You are right though; chat logs can be a great asset! If a serious incident were to ever happen in the chatroom, there would be proof (assuming we got to it within the 24 hours before it was deleted).

I certainly do not read through the chat logs to see who might be cursing or gossiping. We're all grown women here and it's a free country. I merely skim through very quickly to make sure that, first of all, everything is working as it should and, secondly, to make sure that everyone is having a good time and that nobody is being harassed in any way.

If ever anyone has a question as to the ins and outs and the workings of the website, I would be glad to answer them

Sherry,
    Thank GOD!! about the cussing part, cause God knows that I'm as guilty as the shooter of the grassy nole on that part!! Thank you for not being judgemental on that part. This really takes a huge load of my back, for this was the only thing I was really worried about. I sometimes type weird things. I STILL LOVE IT HERE!!

+ Reply to Thread