+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are your earliest card making memories??

Hybrid View

lost luggage Guest View Member Photos

Smile What are your earliest card making memories??

I'll start

My mom used to force us to sit and write thank you notes for every gift we received...

In elementry school, my friends and I used to pass notes all the time (there's a shocker)... We used to go to this cute hallmarky type store called "What's Up" and buy paper by the sheet to write the notes on.. During the summer we wrote letters and mailed them, even though we saw eachother almost every day. I'd give anything to have those notes today...I'd love to look back and remember. I LOVE getting mail! (Imagine my delight when I discovered this thing called "swaping" last month! I run to the mailbox every day! Nothing's come back yet...lol one day!)

One of my favorite things to do when I was little was play with craft stuff...we made warm fuzzy's, friendship bracelets, beaded jewelry, tie die...it wasn't uncommon to find me selling things to the neighborhood kids. Second to this was cooking...but that's a different web site.

I bye art supplies all the time, I love art supply stores! At my last job, I met my new best friend who pushed me more into a creative direction...she's SUPER fancy and creative...she helped me reel myself in and start to make stuff. She's the person who I admire most when it comes to paper crafting... If she gets excited about something I make, I get excited!

Anyway, enough rambling...I'd love to hear how you guys got started!

Talk to you soon,
    Julie

2. Talking

That's a fun question to pose to everyone, Julie!

I'm like you in that my mother instilled in all of my sisters, brother and myself to always, ALWAYS write a thank you note. I liked doing it though because I could get my crayons out and draw a picture and color it in and send it to my friends and relatives.

I guess I've just always been a sucker for a new box of crayons...or prismacolor pencils...or twinkling H2O's and coloring away with them. Consequently when I began stamping with my own children and making cards with them some 14 or 15 years ago it was like carrying on what I loved in my childhood and (hopefully) instilling the same in my own children. My oldest son (now 28 years old) made me my mother's day card this year. How fun is that?
    Jennifer

My blog

Fun!

The earliest cards that I remember making was when I was about 6 y.o. My mom bought a set of color your own cards from Current and I colored them and sent them as thank you cards. I really loved those. I didn't start making cards again until about 3 yrs. ago. It's even more fun now

nsbirdy Guest View Member Photos
    Wow! Talk about bringing back memories! My mother always said, "You can't play with it, wear it, read it or eat until until you have acknowledged it in writing". I brought my kids up the same way, though the rules are a bit more lenient nowadays. They both still write thank you notes but sometimes a phone call or email is acceptable. But I digress. I didn't get into card making until about three years ago when some friends invited me to a stamping afternoon. Can you believe I had no idea what they were talking about? One card and I was hooked ...

5. I remember sending thank you notes as a kid, but I'm not sure if I made them or not. Before I started stamping, I LOVED Hallmark and Current and anyplace with cards. I still have a stash around somewhere that I put away after I started making my own. I started stamping back in '92 but there were many years in between that unfortunately were devoid of any type of crafting. Now I blissfully full of inky fingers again!

Laura

My earliest recollection...

is of making valentines from doilies and red crayon.

Fun question, Julie!

Jane

+ Reply to Thread