+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does Paprika taste like? Am I safe?

What does Paprika taste like? Am I safe?

I have seen it used on top of deviled eggs as a garnish, but I just found a recipe on the Web using it in a recipe.

I guess I jumped the gun and I already have it in my dinner that is cooking in my crock pot.....I think I may have put (actually dropped.... the lid fell off as I was shaking some in!) a bit too much in.

I am making a Chicken Dinner, and the recipe called for a couple of chicken breasts, some cut up chicken chunks, a can of mushroom soup, 1/2 c wheat flour some salt, pepper, paprika and a cup of milk.

After it is all done in 5-6 hours I am going to pour it over mashed red potatoes.....my concern is this: did I ruin it with too much Paprika? What will the taste be like? Is there something else that I should add to all of the ingredients that might make it taste better, or is that what the Paprika is for?

Any help would be appreicated!
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"] What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :twitcy:[/COLOR]

2. you dropped in a bit too much...as in say.....1 teaspoon or more? I think it will be fine if it wasn't more than a teaspoon. Paprika isn't too strong a spice.

Well, I originally put in maybe a teaspoon, but then I added more chicken so I thought I'd just sprinkle a tad bit more of the Paprika on the top....that's when the lid fell off & about 2 Tablespoons fell in. I scooped up quite a bit, but I would say there might be 3 teaspoons worth in the pot....
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"] What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :twitcy:[/COLOR]

4. I guess you'll just have to taste and see. It might have a little "kick" to it. Here's what Widipedia says about paprika:

Paprika is a spice made from the grinding of dried sweet red bell peppers (Capsicum annuum). In many European countries the name paprika also refers to bell peppers themselves. The seasoning is used in many cuisines to add colour and flavour to dishes.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word comes from the Hungarian "paprika", which derives from the Serbian "paprena", which means "the one that is hot" and it is derived from Serbian papar "pepper" which in turn was borrowed from the Latin "piper", for "pepper."

Paprika is used as an ingredient in a broad variety of dishes throughout the world. Paprika (pimentón in Spain, colorau in Portugal, chiltoma in Nicaragua, but these "paprikas" are not made exclusively from bell peppers, other varieties are used, and there are several hot and sweet "paprikas") is principally used to season and colour rices, stews, and soups, such as goulash. In Spain, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, Romania,Bulgaria, Turkey and Portugal, paprika is also used in the preparation of sausages as an ingredient that is mixed with meats and other spices. Paprika may be smoked for additional flavour.

ARGH!!!!!! Thanks for the info, Jan! It sounds like it might end up to be a little spicy!! I had no idea what Paprika really was! I was just trying out some new recipe's for Dinner instead of the same ol' same ol'!

6. lol.....I would say the store brand paprika is not the hot kind....unless your bottle says "Hungarian"....lol

Good! I think it is just the McCormick Brand......

8. shouldn't be too bad then
    ...oops, wrong hat!

9. you should be ok .... I make plain ole chicken breasts in the oven and dunk them in flour,salt, pepper, italian seasoning and paprika and they tasted like fried chicken without the extra fat .
    The Shackretary

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!
    i think it will be fine. it is really a mild spice.

+ Reply to Thread