+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Updated my "Venting" post.....

Big Sky Country, By the Lake and the Mountains

I need to Vent!! (Updated)

Okay here is the thing that I am so flamin about right now.

As you all know I went back to school for nursing. I have Human Nutrition of Fridays from 1:30 to 3:20, this class is actually partly in-class and partly on-line. The class is a lot of work, and ever since the beginning of class, most of the people have complained that it's tooo hard. Boo Hoo!

We have 2 weeks left in class, and are now on module 8, with all the work for that being due on this thursday. The class is not too hard, but again is a lot of work, I spend at least 6 hours on Tuesdays, and most of the day on Thursdays getting the work done, and typing it into the computer, plus sending the post-test on each chapter to my instructor.
    I am the only one caught up in the entire class, only because I have not made any excuses, or whined to the instructor.
    I know a girl that is still on module 2, and still hasn't turned in some assignments before that. Yet these people are getting the same amount of points as me with their late work, as I am getting on my work that is on time.

To top it off, there is a place that we go and answer essay questions pertaining to each of the chapters, the other people are able to see our answers to the questions because it is a "Discussion Forum". Well tonight I found 2 ladies that copied and pasted my work, word for word, and passed off as their own work, they didn't even try to change any of the wording, it's my work.

I am so furious right now, it's a good thing I have a head, otherwise my blood would boil right out.

I sent the instructor a e-mail, and this is what I said:

Hi Patte,

It was just brought to my attention that a few people copied and pasted my answers for the Module 7 Essay Questions.

This really burns me. I for one have never made any excuses to you about this course load, and I think I might be the only

one truly caught up on their work. It truly frustrates me that someone would copy my work and pass it off as their own.

While I find it flattering that they think I am so educated on the topics, I feel someone should correct them that this is unacceptable

behavior. Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated." Thanks, Marie

This has me so upset I feel like crying. Tell me what else I should do, because I really want to hit them, and I am not a violent person.

~MJ

So here is the low down right now.
    After that e-mail I sent to the instructor, I got to thinking?? There is a way for these 2 ladies to go back into this forum and delete their answers, that is if they suddenly grew a conscience.
    So I open all three of our forum boxes, which clearly states our names, the date we answered the questions and the time, I answered mine on the due date of course, theirs are a day late. I copied and pasted it to an e-mail and sent it off to the instructor, informing her why I was doing as such.

Now mind you, I have known this instructor for about 10 years, and have worked with her in several capacities in those years. And talked to her yesterday, about her daughter coming home this weekend from college. Not wanting to call and bother their reunion, I left it up to her to call me, and left my number. She called me about 2 hours ago, and informed me that "she had a suspicion that they were doing this with others as well, only they were copying peoples work that were not as educated as me, and all the answers were wrong. She didn't have real proof of their cheating until I sent her that e-mail with our 3 answers next to each other.
    She also informed me that she contacted the head of the nursing department, and since they have had thing sort of thing happen before they now have a protocol in place for such a event. They both will be failing the class!!
    This class is one of our pre-req's for the level 1 nursing program, they will have to repeat it, and plus pay out of pocket, since financial aid will not pay for a failed class. (I don't think either can afford it)
    Another thing I forgot to mention is that, this is a mom and daughter, and they have already been instructed by the teacher that "they can work together, but they need to put the answers in theoir own words". They copy each others work too!

All I know is Karma is a %$@#*, and they are gonna get theirs.

I will let you know if anyhting else is done, Thanks ladies for all your kind words. ~MJ
    Last edited by Kreative Dryve; 12-01-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling and update
    Marie
    Kreative Blog

When I stand before God at the end of my life,
    I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,
    and could say, "I used everything you gave me".
    - Erma Bombeck

Report the two people copying your work to the school's Ethics Committee. If the instructor is not going to do anything to change their grades, report the instructor, also, to the Ethics Committee. Each school has such a committee. If your instructor retaliates by lowering your grades (because you complained), the Dean of the department needs to be informed. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but you have nothing to lose by making sure the cheating students get bad grades as a result of what they're doing.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

I agree with Ethel. The ethics committee is there for just that reason. Good luck and let us know what they say.

I am sorry this has happened to you. I think Ethel gave you some very good advice. Glinda

5. You should be angry. Also, is there someone in hire authority than the instructor to report this entire situation to? Congrats to you though on being a hard worker.

6. You are to be commended for keeping up in the class, and shame on those who are cheating. I agree with Ethel and Ellie. Let us know if the instructor replies to your email.

HEY! I say if they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen!!!
    The nerve of people using your hard work to better themselves! How lazy and "unethical!"
    Now, I'M steamed! LOL
    I hope this situation will be resolved in a way that is totally fair to you and your efforts!
    HUGS
    Joanie

8. I know what I am about to say is not what you want to hear. But it is THEM that will pay for their lack of work. It is them that will be put in a situation that they cant get out of...since its nursing-I surely hope that its not ME that they figure out they dont know what they are doing on. I agree...report them....make it clear you KNOW what they are doing....and just know that you have EARNED your points. Not very good knowing that you cant brand them with a flaming iron right here and now. But in the long run they will be judged by another.

Let us know what teach and committee says.
    Becky P
    in East Tennessee
    VISIT MY BLOG

Big Sky Country, By the Lake and the Mountains

Updated my "Venting" post.....

I talked to my instructor, and update my original post if you want to read what she said. ~MJ
    Marie
    Kreative Blog

When I stand before God at the end of my life,
    I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,
    and could say, "I used everything you gave me".
    - Erma Bombeck

Oh, that's good news!
    (Well, not for them...)
    Glad you got this problem squared away.
    Joanie

+ Reply to Thread