+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh I want to scream! Darn contractors!

1. Oh I want to scream! Darn contractors!

During our vacation we decided that we need to get our lanai tiled. When we bought the house it was carpeted and it's starting to mildew in some spots so we figured we'd touch base with a contractor that has done some work on our FL rental property and on my SIL's home. It SEEMED easy enough. He stopped by and took measurements, sent us to a 'great tile place', we brought home several samples, picked out the 'perfect' tile, he came back to finalize the project, WE PAID HIM, he told us he'd do the job Thursday and Friday this week.

Well - I just got an email from him telling us that:

1. he went to pick up the tile and the tile store wouldn't give him his contractor discount - thus our price would increase significantly.
    2. After looking at the 'perfect' tile he doesn't think its the right choice and recommends that we pick out something else.
    3. he's angry with the tile place and wants us to visit another tile place - claims they are nationwide and must have a facility near us.
    4. he's leaving on June 1st for a month long family trip to Canada/Upstate New York so if he doesn't have the new tile in his possession within a week the job won't be done until his return.

I have no reason not to believe all that he has said or that he will stiff us but I am so ticked off. We did pay him and the check has cleared. The closest tile show room that he referred us to is over an hour away and I'm out of town for the rest of the week. I emailed him back and asked if he could work with Lowe's or Home Depot tile as they are the only nationwide places we can think of in our area. I hope it works out but I needed to vent!

Thanks for reading! Sorry - what - I've been back 24 hours and I'm already fired up and ranting .... maybe I need another vacation!
    Teresa

2. Hmmmm, sounds like you've paid for someone's vacation. I hope not. I'd be a tad furious about the whole thing. Ask the contractor for reimbursement and you'll talk with him after he returns from vacation.

3. oh boy....be careful. I hope he doesn't take your money and run.

Check his references. They have expose's on our news all of the time!

You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today by worrying about tomorrow.

5. Quote Originally Posted by directmailscrapper View Post
    Check his references. They have expose's on our news all of the time!
    He painted our rental house last spring and we checked his references before that and they were good. He did great work and has since done a major job for DH's sister - putting her lanai under air. I'm hoping that I'm just jumping to conclusions and that we have nothing to worry about. He talked to us in great detail about his upcoming vacation and may just assume that because we don't live in the houses that it won't matter if the work doesn't get done until he gets back. I suppose it doens't matter but he referred us to the tile place, we had an agreement, paid him, and the check already cleared so it annoys me (and worries me) that this is now happening. Hopefully it will turn out positive and my worry and rant was for naught
    Teresa

Well that stinks. I hope it all works out for you!
    Christine

6 10 12 22 26 40 41 55 69

what a let down!

I hope you get it straightened oot soon and that it all works out

Big Sky Country, By the Lake and the Mountains
    My DH is a contractor, but your job is too far away.

We never get paid up front, that kind of thing is too scary even for us.
    Hope it all comes out okay!

~Marie
    Marie
    Kreative Blog

When I stand before God at the end of my life,
    I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,
    and could say, "I used everything you gave me".
    - Erma Bombeck

Welcome back Teresa..l sure hope it turns out for you, it sounds strange that he would want you to order from some other place..l wonder if he paid his last bill at this place where you have already ordered.
    And he should have told you upfront about going away for a month before he took your money..l can understand why you would be upset l would be too..it sounds like he will do the work because he has done it for your family before..but its strange you have to drive some place way out of your way to choose another title.
    l think l would ask him for the money back and tell him your unhappy with the whole set -up and ask him to call you when he returns to see if you still want him to do the job..
    l Pray it works out for you.
    Please Bear.. with me while l grow.

10. After going through recent renovations using a contractor ourselves I would be cautious with them asking to use other companies etc....sounds just a wee bit fishy for me too so please please tread carefully and if all is Ok then really hope that it is just a small hiccup and it all works out fine in the end for you..

+ Reply to Thread