+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blocked salivary gland

Hybrid View

Blocked salivary gland

You may remember back in May, I went to the dentist because of a "toothache." He eventually told me I needed a root canal. When I went to get the root canal done (on 3rd July), the dentist discovered that neither of the teeth I was supposed to have a root-canal performed on were problematic. Both teeth, he said, were perfectly healthy.

OK....this past week, the teeth were "hurting" again. Every time I brushed my teeth, I could feel pain in that area. So, back to the dentist I went, yesterday. As soon his mirror instrument touched my cheek, I felt pain. He looked at me, puzzled, and asked me if I was feeling pain in my cheek. He touched my teeth and gums with his finger. No pain. But, I had pain in my cheeck. He shakes his head and says, "Ethel, you don't have teeth problems. You have a salivary gland problem." I've never heard of such a thing, have you?

He told me to go home and suck on three lemon-heads (the candy). But, when my coworker googled it, she found out that some people actually had problems AFTER sucking on the lemon heads. Instead, folks recommended that I suck on actual lemons. The tartness of the lemon is supposed to make me develop and excrete a ton of saliva, thus releasing the "block." My dentist said this was going to be painful. I was supposd to take 400 mg of Ibuprofen and some Tylenol with codeine. He said that once the block was released, I was going to feel excruciating pain.

I sucked on two lemons last night. I didn't feel any difference, except for the fact that sucking on lemons is an awful, awful, awful thing. So, now, I'm wondering if I *do* have a blocked salivary gland. The dentist said that if it doesn't get itself unblocked, and I continue to have pain, I'll have to go to an oral surgeon to get it unblocked. I just want to cry at this point.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

2. My mom had this happen a few years ago. She said it was one of the most painful things she has ever had. I don't remember what meds she was told to use or how to treat it. She thought it was a dumb thing to have happen though. Good luck to you - I hope the lemons help.

I have heard of this but never had the "pleasure" myself. Yuck! I hope you get it cleared soon, the pain must be awful. So if we say, "go suck a lemon" we mean no disrespect!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Well I'll try and remember to ask my boss today. Sucking on the lemon candies is what he recommends to people. I've never heard anything about it being so painful when it releases. Is it blocked with a stone? We've removed those using a laser.

Kathy

5. Oh Ethel you sound so much in pain Im wrapping cyber hugs around you at this moment. lets hope this gets better soon xxx
    Sue x

6. I feel for you Ethel and hope you feel well again soon.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((Ethel)))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))

Oh wow, Ethel. I've never even heard of this. Major hugs coming your way.
    Renu
    My Art Journey Blog: http://midnitecreations.blogspot.com/

8. Ouch - I hope the lemons do the trick and that you are pain free soon.
    Teresa

9. Ouchie!!
    Id go with the Lemon Heads and take my chances!
    Try putting a warm compress to that area before sucking on whatever it is you use. It'll increase blood flow to the area and maybe open up the opening the blockage should be going through.
    I've never had that, but it sounds like mastitis in my your mouth...lol Same thing, same "fix", with the same outcome if it doesnt pass.
    I hope you're feeling better soon!

Oooohhhh, Ethel!
    I certainly hope this will be cleared up very soon.
    I have never heard of this before, but I'm hoping the doctor knows just how to help you....hope the lemons work very quickly!
    HUGS
    Joanie

+ Reply to Thread