+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apples: Granny Smith vs Jonathan Apples

Apples: Granny Smith vs Jonathan Apples

Some of you may have read that my family went to pick apples on Sunday at a farm near our city. We picked some Jonathan apples, which are baking apples (as well as Golden and Red Delicious apples).

Last night, I made a pie with the Jonathans. Usually, I make pie with Granny Smiths.

WOW! There is a noticeable difference between the two. Taste-wise, both are wonderful. But, Jonathan apples definitely soften up, while Granny Smiths tend to stay crisp. Also, Jonathan apples seem to be sweeter than Granny Smiths.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd take both. I guess it would just depend on whether I'm in the mood for slightly crispy apples or if I want soft apples in my pie. They are both excellent, though.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

Richfield, Minnesota (suburb of Minneapolis)

Re: Apples: Granny Smith vs Jonathan Apples

Apples certainly have a variety of flavors, tartness vs. sweetness, and crispness! I usually think of Granny Smiths being good with carmel, since they're more tart. I personally really love HoneyCrisp apples--developed right here in Minnesota! Sweet and crisp!
    --Lidia

The red delicious are my very favorite. Glinda

I used to eat only red delicious, but now I like the McCoun (sp), Jonathans, Empire, McIntosh, etc.
    This is definitely the time to buy them.
    HUGS
    Joanie

thanks for the report, Ethel, good to know

And I always use MacIntosh for pies. I'll have to try it with the Jonathon's. One of our ladies made a pie for work and I noticed how firm the apples were, I'll have to ask her which kind she used.

Kathy

in my little hut surrounded by bits of paper & stamps

Sherri and I got some apples today. We each got some Jonagolds, Honeycrisps, and I got some Staymans. So many to choose from. Just for chomping I like Galas, Jonagolds or Fugis. So I hope I like the Honeycrisp. They look good.
    Michelle

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

I've never heard of those apples before. I always use Granny Smith in a pie. I love them!!!!

Honey Crisps are the BEST!!! Hard to find, short shelf life, but IMO, the best apple I have ever had!

You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today by worrying about tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread