+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Menu

1. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Sarah-we can get fresh cranberries at this time of year and that is what I use in the above recipe. I freeze some for the other times of year.
    Any time of year we can get dried cranberries or cranraisins for other types of dishes.

2. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Jan those eggs sound YUMMY! I'm definitely trying that recipe!!! Never would have thought to use garden veg cream cheese - I love that stuff on crackers! Thanks!

I wanted to do a couple things in crockpots on Thanksgiving morning, so ease the last minute rush and trying to decide what gets put in the oven and what has to wait. Here's a couple I'm going to try out today (we have our Thanksgiving dinner at church tonight) so I'll know ahead of time if they're any good or not.

Crockpot Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing
    Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole

Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Vicki, I love the sound of the sausage and cornbread stuffing. Don't forget to give us your review. I may have to make this if it's worth it.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

Jan, Thanks so much for sharing the Waldorf Salad recipe. My mom use to make a "Southern" version of this when I was little and your recipe brought back many happy memories. Now, my mom is like Suzi's and NEVER cooks a complete meal. LOL I'm going to try this version of the salad ~ I hate mayo now and my mom's used Mircle Whip so, the yogurt will be a good change.
    Cathi

If I start driving now, I think I can be to Joanne's in time for dinner next week. Yummy! I'm going to make Jan's salad for our painting group thanksgiving potluck this week. Everything sounds so good. I haven't even thought much about Thanksgving until reading this thread. LOL

I'm sure we will be going to my parents and helping to cook all the traditional turkey with the trimmings stuff for Thanksgiving. Hubby has to work a 12 hour shift on Thanksgiving day and I am making a dish to send to his work for a potluck. We may go visit and have a snack with him at the station, too.

6. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

My grandfather is coming home from the nursing home for Thanksgiving. I can't wait. He hasn't been home since July 07 when he went there. He is finally well enough to try a visit home. He doesn't care for turkey much. Mom and I were discussing our menu today. I have several pies and pumpkin roll ordered. My dh promised Pap that he would make him shrimp. He loves shrimp and never gets them in the home. But, were were thinking of making pap's favorite meal in addition to the shrimp. He loves pork and sauerkraut. Do you think it would be odd to forego the traditional feast to have this? He is 90 and we all love him so much and I really want to make the day special for him.
    Kim

Close To My Heart Consultant

7. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Kim, I would definitely make Pap's favorite meal! Heck with turkey and trimmings! Cherish the day!

8. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Yep, it's a go.Talked to dh and he thinks it's a good idea too. So in our house we will be having shrimp, pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatos, mince meat pie, lemon crumb pie, pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll. LOL
    Kim

Close To My Heart Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Far North View Post
    Sarah-we can get fresh cranberries at this time of year and that is what I use in the above recipe. I freeze some for the other times of year.
    Any time of year we can get dried cranberries or cranraisins for other types of dishes.
    I have never seen fresh cranberries here, but I think I can make your recipe and substitute craisins for raisins. I'll let you know how I liked it.
    Thanks or the recipe.
    Sarah

10. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

I wanted to do a couple things in crockpots on Thanksgiving morning, so ease the last minute rush and trying to decide what gets put in the oven and what has to wait. Here's a couple I'm going to try out today (we have our Thanksgiving dinner at church tonight) so I'll know ahead of time if they're any good or not.

Crockpot Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing
    Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
    OMG both of these recipes are da bomb!!! Just got back from our church dinner where I took both dishes and YUM! I had seconds of both! Neither of them were completely gone as there were a few dressings and several different sweet potato dishes, but I will definitely be making these again on Thanksgiving day for our families!

A couple notes - on the Sweet Potato Casserole, I didn't have orange juice on hand and since it was only 1 tablespoon, I used apple juice. Couldn't tell any different. Very rich but oh so good!

On the Sausage Cornbread Stuffing - I couldn't find a 16 oz package of cornbread stuffing mix at Walmart so I got three 6 oz boxes of it which of course makes 18 oz but it was fine. I did have to put mine in a big crockpot (5 or 6 quarts, can't remember which) since my smaller one was taken with the other recipe, and it was done in just 3 hours on low so I changed it to "keep warm". My large crockpot is much hotter than the smaller one! This turned out really good - love the taste!

Just thought I'd give my reviews!

+ Reply to Thread