+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Menu

1. Thanksgiving Menu

If you are making Thanksgiving dinner for your family, what's on your menu? It's at our house this year with both sides of our families (DH's & mine) together. Here's what I have so far:

Turkey (I think I've only baked one turkey in my life! Gonna have to look online for a how-to, LOL! DH has a fryer but not sure if he's willing to get that out of the basement and set it up.)
    Mashed potatoes & gravy
    Rolls
    Noodles
    Praline Yams
    Green Bean Casserole
    some kind of dressing
    Pumpkin Pie
    Persimmon Pudding

Now, I know some of these things I can make the day before: pumpkin pie, persimmon pudding, rolls, and noodles.

But I have questions:

1. anyone have a good online source for turkey how-to's? Like what size to get for about 15 or so people, etc. I know my MIL puts onions & celery inside it and bakes in a bag. It always turn out really good.

2. If I make the noodles the day before (roll them out, cut, leave out to dry) do I then just store them in a bag on the counter or put them in the fridge?

3. I need a REALLY good (but easy, LOL) recipe for yeast rolls. I'm talking the big soft doughy kind! And would it be ok to make those the day before?

4. How about a home-made dressing recipe? I usually make oyster dressing but not everyone likes that so we'll see.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get organized, LOL.

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

Re: Thanksgiving Menu

I cook the meal for our family every year. My mom said she has had enough of it and I can do it from now on! LOL! My menu:
    Turkey
    Dressing
    Greenbean Casserole
    Mashed Potatoes
    Giblet gravey
    Deviled Eggs
    Yams
    Rolls
    Apple Pie
    Cookies

3. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Well....we go to my parents house for lunch and my mom does the turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans. Everyone else in my family brings something: there are pumpkin pies, cakes and desserts, brocoli casserole, sweet potatoes of some form or fashion, coleslaw, potato salad, devilled eggs, baked beans, homemade bread and whatever else you can think of.

4. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Ah yes, deviled eggs would be nice! I'll add that.

5. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Vicki I think the butterball website is the best for turkey info...here is a calculator for how many people -kids and adults...leftovers or not...all totalled for you...as well as thawing times too. Terrific other resources here too including a call line throughout Thanksgiving day.

I have a great deviled egg recipe and a cranberry waldorf salad if anyone is interested.

I use frozen bread dough and make into dinner rolls as described on package.

My 84 yo mother and 87 yo aunt are both coming down from N.J. to visit this Thanksgiving so I'm going to make dinner which I haven't done in a very very long time. My dinner includes:

fresh fruit appetizer, turkey, ham, kielbasa & kraut, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans, carrots, corn, dinner rolls, rye bread, deviled eggs, mac & cheese, pecan tassies, apple pie, pumpkin roll and, of course, chocolate chip cookies for Corey since that is the only "goodie" he'll eat.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

7. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Wow Joanne, nothing like Thanksgiving with out of town family joining the fun! It sounds like you are ready for a huge celebration. Enjoy!

8. Re: Thanksgiving Menu

oh Joanne.... I LOOOVVVEEEE kielbasa and kraut "mixed" with my mashed potatoes. I craved this when I was pregnant with my oldest son.

Jan, I would love your devilled egg & cranberry/waldorf salad recipe. Is the salad recipe similar to Ruby Tuesday's apple salad? If so, I love that too.

I just used the "calculator" that Jan posted to see how big a turkey I should get and I can't believe they suggested a 5 lb. turkey for 5 people and to have leftovers. Here I am planning on getting a 20 lb. turkey and I really think I'm sticking with it. You can always freeze cooked turkey.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

Hey Jan, I really would like that cranberry Waldorf salad recipe myself. I forgot to add cranberry sauce to my menu.
    Joanne

+ Reply to Thread