+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stamping and coloring WOOD

stamping and coloring WOOD

more questions from me...

I am doing a craft in my dh's 2nd grade class this week. I got those wooden snowen cutouts from Michaels.....so....
    2 questions:

1) Does is matter if I use cheap ink for the kids to stamp with? (I hate to give them my staz-on but will if I should)

2) What is teh best medium to cover the rest of the snowman? ie: Crayons? water color? They do NOT have lots of time for it to dry......

THANK YOU!
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

Re: stamping and coloring WOOD

I have been stampin on wood longerr than paper! lol
    I always use my staze on, and lots of tim es I color with my colored pencils for a softer look, or markers for a bolder look.
    HTH

Thank you, Cindi. I was hoping that YOU would see this and respond....since you do so much wood work. I never thought about the colored pencils but I will go try that on my sample.
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

we want to see one when your done

you know..now that I really think about this..I usually paint my wood before I satmp on it. if the ink runs, you may have to use a wood sealer first.

6. Re: stamping and coloring WOOD

I have stamped on some of the wooden cut-out ornaments and have successfully used ink other than Stazon. In some cases I have used acrylic paint as a base and other times just stamped. I have not had bleeding issues but sometimes the wood does absord some of the intensity of color. Your really might want to test the kids inks to see if they respond any different.
    Happy stamping!

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

When I stamped on wood I first painted it with acrylic paint, then I stamped it with regular pigment ink and then used a clear sealer on top.

OK...I will try it several different ways. Thank you.
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

I've stamped on wood for some time too. I've tried it just on the bare wood, and on wood prepped with paint. The ink on bare wood is more distressed looking. Depending on how hard you press, some of the imprints don't always come up clear. The coloring isn't always even either. However, the ones that are prepped with acrylic come out much better, especially for kids. Most any ink works on top of the paint, same as paper. Markers also work great on paint vs. bare wood. The coloring with markers is quite uneven on wood.
    Renu
    My Art Journey Blog: http://midnitecreations.blogspot.com/

thanks. I am thinking of spray painting the snowmen tomorrow.....
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

+ Reply to Thread