+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can cats catch a stomach flu?

Can cats catch a stomach flu?

Geez, the fun never stops here.

So last Friday Shadow went to the vet for a teeth cleaning and also got a little lump removed from his neck. He was one dose away from finishing his antobiotics when he stopped keeping down food. He ate a little bit yesterday morning--not much. Last night he didn't want to eat at all. Around 6pm he threw up a few times (normal for him--he can have a hairball about every other day). But he didn't get up the hairball. He didn't eat, but drank a little around 10pm. 10:30 he threw up again. No food. 3am he throws up more. 6am I decided to try to give him breakfast and he ate only a mouthful although he acted hungry. I watched him for about 2 minutes and he threw it up.

So vet opens between 8:30 and 9. They are only open until noon, so I think we'll just plan to show up at 8:45 and park ourselves there until they can see him. Wonder if they'll have to take an x-ray to check for an impacted hairball?

Anyone else ever encounter this? Sigh...the credit card is still smoking from our last visit....
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

Re: Can cats catch a stomach flu?

My cat went through this. Not that I know exactly what is going on with your cat, but here is what our vet told us...

They took an x-ray of our cat's stomach and intenstines. Our cat's intestines were enlarged, meaning that he could possibly have intestinal cancer; and this is why he was throwing up food all the time. Plus, our cat was eating non-stop. The reason for this was because he wasn't feeling "full." His intestines were preventing him fully-digesting, so his food was coming back up.

Ask your vet to do an x-ray. They're not cheap, though. It cost us $250 for the x-ray (human x-rays cost less than this. Geeesh!)

Anyway, the vet told us that we could opt to have a biopsy done on our cat for $1,000; or we could just treat the pain with antibiotics and steroids. He gave our cat five years to live. Our cat is currently eight years old. We didn't think it was worth putting our cat through the trauma of a biopsy (they would have to cut his stomach open and remove a portion of his intenstines). So, we're just going to treat the symptoms and keep our cat as pain-free as possible.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

I'm gonna say yes that they can get the flu. ALL of our cats had it last winter and just passed it around to each other. Each cat had it for about 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagegal View Post
    My cat went through this. Not that I know exactly what is going on with your cat, but here is what our vet told us...

They took an x-ray of our cat's stomach and intenstines. Our cat's intestines were enlarged, meaning that he could possibly have intestinal cancer; and this is why he was throwing up food all the time. Plus, our cat was eating non-stop. The reason for this was because he wasn't feeling "full." His intestines were preventing him fully-digesting, so his food was coming back up.

Ask your vet to do an x-ray. They're not cheap, though. It cost us $250 for the x-ray (human x-rays cost less than this. Geeesh!)

Anyway, the vet told us that we could opt to have a biopsy done on our cat for $1,000; or we could just treat the pain with antibiotics and steroids. He gave our cat five years to live. Our cat is currently eight years old. We didn't think it was worth putting our cat through the trauma of a biopsy (they would have to cut his stomach open and remove a portion of his intenstines). So, we're just going to treat the symptoms and keep our cat as pain-free as possible.

Oh my goodness! That is terrible! I'm sorry! Hugs to your kitty....
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

Well, here's hoping:
    Vet thought it was a sick stomach because of the antibiotics. They gave him some IV and a shot to help calm his stomach. She said very little food (or none) today to help his stomach calm down, then try more food tomorrow.

Fat lot of good the "calming stomach" shot did--He threw up on my bedspread--on MY SIDE near the pillow. Ew. But at least he got out the hairball I think he was working on.

He also pooped at the vet when they gave him the thermometer. Then he decided to come home and try to wipe his butt on the carpet. I have done a lot of carpet cleaning today...
    Sigh....
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

Well, Ethel, it looks like X-rays will be coming. He kept throwing up (and not eating) Yesterday too. And midnight. And this morning he seemed like he wanted to eat. He licked the sauce of the canned food I tried to give him. Then he left and threw up 3 times.

The second the vet opens I am calling to get him in there. I assume the next step is those expensive x-rays you were talking about.....My poor credit card!

Pray for my poor little boy--I feel awful that he is so sick and I can't help him!
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

poor kitty. I hope they figure out what is wrong today. Wondering if the antibiotic killed the good bacteria in his tummy, yogurt can fix that. Just throwing it out there as an inexpensive possibility. I have a friend who always feeds her dogs plain yogurt when they get sick.

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

Poor little kitty. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong with him. Keep us posted.

What a night! Poor Shadow. I grabbed him after work and we headed to the vet. Vet thought this was more than a reaction to the antibiotics, and said we should do x-rays ($70 for 2). Ok. Tech gal came to get him and I warned her that he would probably pee and might use his back claws. She took him and I waited. And waited. And waited! Something must have been wrong!! THen the door bursts open and another gal says "Are you the owner of the kitty that is getting x-rays?" Uh-oh. Yes. She said "There is poop EVERYWHERE--we're trying to clean it up. I just wanted to let you know--he is ok, but there is poop everywhere!" Oh geez.

Then she comes back and says they have him in like a cloth sack cause "he is pretty mad at us" and they are trying to wash him through it--it is ok with me if he will be all wet? YES--please get the poop off! I asked if it was diarria (can't spell that), and she said "I don't now WHAT is was., but it was EVERYWHERE!" Oh man. She took his carrier back there to get him into. Later another gal comes in lugging his growling carrier. Poor thing! They had to stop cleaning him cause he was so upset with them. They did their best. He was all wet in there and every breath he took was let out in a growl! Holy cow.

Vet came in and showed me the x-rays "which were taken after he pooped everywhere". She was fascinated by his empty colon--guess usually there is SOMETHING in the colon at all times? Yeah--he had dumped it all. Apparently their x-ray room was quite a mess. She said it was definately loose "cow patties" everywhere.

X-rays were fine. So she said that takes her back to thinking it IS a really bad reaction to the antibiotics. She gave him a stronger shot, and I managed to hold him (in a towel) while they gave him more IV fluids.

We got home at 7:30 and I opened his carrier in the bathroom which was covered in towels. I even filled the sink and mixed in kitty shampoo and got his tail in it to wash that off, and attempted to clean his butt. Then he took over, so I left him in there for a while. He wasn't as bad as I thought. I left him in there an hour and he was better.

A heat blanket cures all. I turned mine on and he was so happy to lay on it (all clean now of course). He even purred and let me pet and bruch him.

BETTER so far this morning! Got up early to feed him and he ate almost a whole spoon of tuna, he drank a few mouthfuls of water, then went back to my bed where he is resting. Big sigh of relief here. I think he is better after the shot last night. Also the vet thought getting the JUNK out of his system (and into the x-ray room) would help him feel better too. What a night! I am exhausted!

Just coming home for lunch to check on him to make sure no more puke. Hopefully not! Poor thing needs a break.

Wow, what a story! Thanks for the happy thoughts and prayers!
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

Poor Shadow. It sounds like he might be on the mend now.

+ Reply to Thread