+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! How do I cook

1. Help! How do I cook

Hi girls. I bought two things yesteray I've never cooked. I bought fresh asparagus and couscous. How do I cook them? (not together lol)
    Kim

Close To My Heart Consultant

2. Re: Help! How do I cook

Kim,

I have personally never cooked either one of these, but I have seen Paula Deen steam asparagus. Perhaps you can look on her site, or cooks.com for ideas.

Visit my blog here

Re: Help! How do I cook

I can't help you with the couscous. Aparagus is pretty easy, though. Personally, I just cut it up and steam it in my mircrowave. I have heard that you should steam it straight up and down. The person who told me that said to use an old percolator coffee pot, stand the stalks up and steam with a little water in the bottom. The microwave works just fine!

living my retirement dream in sunshiney FL

Roasted asparagus is wonderful... I've attached a link which has photos and detailed instructions. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...paragus-Spears
    enjoy
    betty dallas
    {color outside the lines}

5. Re: Help! How do I cook

I love steaming asparagus in the microwave....then just add a little butter and parmesan cheese...that's the way I like to eat it

I've never cooked couscous either.

couscous is easy.
    If you bought the instant variety you just add boiling water. Follow the directions on the packet. or below.
    Basically you use equal parts couscous and boiling water in a dish (not on stove), cover and let sit for 5 minutes, fluff it and it's done

I like mine plain, like this recipe, as a side dish with lamb.
    I also like to make a salad with it. HERE"S THE RECIPE

Couscous is very popular in Australia. This Aussie cooking site has over 200 recipes using couscous. Let me know what you make
    Sarah

I make cous cous just like Sarah does. It's just equal parts boiling water and couscous. I like it with butter and salt but many people eat it sweetened.

I make my asparagus in the oven. I sprinkle it with olive oil, thyme and salt. Bake for 10 minutes. Then shake the pan around and bake another 5 ish minutes yum!
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

8. Re: Help! How do I cook

Sarah thanks for sharing that great site!

Here is one of my fav salmon recipes with couscous...perhaps because it is mixed and baked all in one dish-very fast to put together.

Salmon with Couscous Pilaf
    2 cups couscous
    3 carrots, (about 6 medium), chop into small piece
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/4 cups water, salt and pepper

Coarse salt and ground pepper
    4 skinless salmon fillets
    1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Lemon wedges, for serving

1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    2. In a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, mix together carrots, couscous, almonds, raisins, mint, oil, 1 1/4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    3. Place salmon fillets on top of couscous mixture; season generously with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover pan with foil; bake until fish is opaque throughout, 30 to 35 minutes.
    Transfer fish to plates. Fluff couscous with a fork; serve with fish and lemon wedges.

9. Re: Help! How do I cook

That sounds good Jan....minus the raisins...I don't like them in anything except cookies

I add fresh minced garlic and some fresh shredded parmasean to my couscous.

And a BIG vote for ROASTED asparagas!!! Yum!

:> Karen
    Time Crafted (my blog)

+ Reply to Thread