+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

I'm so excited! I found FARMER'S CHEESE!!!!! So I can finally make these.

Yes, I promised some of you long ago that I would post the recipe so here it is.

NOTE: Grammy always used Farmer's Cheese, which is a very dry cottage cheese. Very hard to find anymore. If you can't find it, dry curd cottage cheese, but you'll have to drain it (under pressure to squeeze out all the water) for DAYS.

Another NOTE: I DESPISE cottage cheese. Never touch the nasty stuff. But in these pierogies OH MY GOSH heaven.

Filling (mix together): 3 eggs, 3 lbs farmer's cheese, 1 1/2 cup of cooked barley and rice mixed together, 2 T sugar, 1T flour.

Dough: Whisk 8 eggs, 8c sifted flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2T sugar.

Make a well in the flour and put the whisked eggs in the middle. Add flour from the outside of the well into the middle of the eggs until entire mixture is crumbly. Pour water into center and make center pile of dough sticky. Pull out onto counter and repeat. Knead all dough.

Roll out and cut into circles. Put spoonful of filling in each and CAREFULLY pinch shut--any weakness and they'll fall apart when cooking. Boil them 10-15 minutes. They should float and become tender. Pull them out and lay on dish towels until dry and cool, then wrap and freeze or fridge. When you are ready to eat then, pan fry with butter/marg. Serve with just a LITTLE sour cream. YUM!

Note: Typically the dough is one egg to one cup of flour. BUT if you want softer dough (I usually do), add one more egg. Plus I really suck at rolling the dough out, so I cheat and use my pasta machine, then cut out the circles from the long piece of flattened dough. Making the dough is really an art that takes getting used to. Grammy was a master--I am not.

Extra dough can be cut up into noodles--once again, boil then dry and cool. These are FANTASTIC in home made chic noodle soup later. Yup--they can be frozen no problem.
    You should have SEEN how fast grammy could chop those noodles! I was always scared she'd chop her fingers.......

This recipe makes "a lot", but not enough for me. Typically if I'm going through all the trouble of making these, I'll at least double it. They can be frozen for months, so why not? Then I give the family some and they're all tickled to death.

I have a picture of mom and grammy when we were making these and noodles...I'll have to try to find it sometime. Yeah--always best to have one person rolling, one person filling, and one person boiling......

ENJOY, and let me know if you ever make them!
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

2. Re: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

This brought back such great memories for me, Tricia. My grandma Stella was Polish. When her sisters from NY came out, I would watch all these short, pudgy women in the kitchen each making one part of the pierogies and chattering away in Polish. They made potato and cheese pierogies and boy they were delicious! I wish I had taken a picture of those women in the kitchen. I only have the memories now.

I've saved your recipe for pierogies. Maybe I'll make them some day.

3. Re: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

Ooohh, this sounds good
    Cat

Re: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by 1of2shoes View Post
    This brought back such great memories for me, Tricia. My grandma Stella was Polish. When her sisters from NY came out, I would watch all these short, pudgy women in the kitchen each making one part of the pierogies and chattering away in Polish. They made potato and cheese pierogies and boy they were delicious! I wish I had taken a picture of those women in the kitchen. I only have the memories now.

I've saved your recipe for pierogies. Maybe I'll make them some day.
    Awwww, I can totally relate! Yeah, grammy was a farm girl, so they used the cheese and stuff they grew in their pierogies. And I also have to agree that I love the memories of my grammy, my mom, and i in the kitchen all doing one part of the pierogies. I only took ONE picture--and since I took it I'm not in it, darnet! The picture is in a scrapbook now, not sure if I had a double I can easily scan. I'll have to look for it later.
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

My grandmother and mother-in-law made these all the time. I love love love to eat them but they are too hard and time-consuming to make for me. Tricia, do you have access to the menonnites or the Pennsylvania Dutch. They always have farmer's cheese. At least that's where we always got it.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

6. Re: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

Tricia did the pierogies turn out great?...I know they were! When foods bring back a flood of memories it is always a very special enjoyment.

My aunts made pierogies...and I always enjoyed them. Now I have to make do with the frozen ones.

Ours are potato and cheddar too, nice sharp cheddar! Umm, pierogie, yum.

Kathy

I made them today--boy am I tired! It took me 6 hours. Yes, they are YUMMY!! I made almost 10 dozen. My freezer is loaded now. I plan to pile a bunch on my mom when she comes to help with the Pittsburgh stamp Expo in 2 weeks.

Mmmmm.
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

9. Re: I'm making Grammy's pierogies this weekend!

Saw this and sighed.... I just used up our last package LOL... Time to make more. It's so much work, but SO worth it!
    Cathy at the Seaside Rose Cottage
    Visit my Blog! (Scroll all the way down to see the pictures of our fabulous gardens.)

+ Reply to Thread