+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need a hug lol...UPDATE

Re: I need a hug lol...UPDATE

Hugs to you!
    shelley

2. Re: I need a hug lol...UPDATE

Give Ben extra loves and pets tonight! So glad to hear you can bring him home.
    Jennifer

My blog

3. Re: I need a hug lol...UPDATE

Ben is finally home although he does look as though he has been on the booze for more than a day or two lol ....he wont be fully out the anesthetic for around 72 hours due to his kidney but we are keeping close eye on him n lots of tlc n cuddles lol

So glad to know that Ben is home. Now you can rest a bit too. Give Ben an extra schatching behind the ears for me! And hugs to you.
    Amy

I know exactly how you are feeling now. These little furbabies will give me a nervous breakdown some day. They are members of the family, not possessions.

Make sure (even if you are afraid of sounding like a broken record) that the vet is well aware of his age and the concerns you have about the kidney issue. Ask about whatever precautions they use for older cats with that condition. It is possible that they give him extra fluids to keep the kidneys functioning well during and after the surgery. One of my older cats needed to have his ear examined and a tumor removed IF they found one there, so they told me that he would get the extra fluids. He was fine after the anethesia and was his usual grumbly self with the staff.

Also, I have given subcutaneous fluids to 3 of my senior cats. When the kidney function reaches a certain level, my vet suggests the fluids. He taught us how to do it. You just have to go under the skin, not find a vein or anything that needs a professional. You get (and pay for) what they call a "set up kit." That will be the tubing to reach from the IV bag ( just like a human IV bag) to the cat, the right size needle, and the IV bag of fluids. He will tell use how much to give and how often. Some cats need it every day, some of mine could get it every other day. Your vet will know what's best.
    It is best to have the bag hanging high so the fluid runs easily, just like they do with people. It might also be better to have 2 people doing this. It depends on the cat. My husband could actually do the grumbly cat by himself, but it took 3 people at the vets office!
    Some cats do very well with this and their lives are happily prolonged. Others don't. It just depends on the kidneys themselves.
    One of mine looked and acted so bad, the vet think she would last very long. The vet gave her a 3 months at most diagnosis. With the fluids,she made a complete turn around and lived very happily for 2 more years and then we had to put her to sleep because of cancer, not the kidneys!
    There is also a special food for the kidneys, only availbe at the vet's office It comes in canned and dry forms. My cats LOVE the dry, hate the wet. It is made by Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. He would give you the FELINE K/D ( kidney diet).

Saying prayers for both kitty and you! Keep us updated and let me know if I can be of any more help.
    Susan Paulson

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece.".....Leonardo da Vince

I am hoping you will have your sweet Ben for many healthy years to come.
    I guess his teeth will just have to wait!
    He's probably all sorts of 'glad' about that!
    HUGS to you both!
    Joanie

7. Re: I need a hug lol...UPDATE

Hope he feels all better tomorrow

Sorry I missed you this evening Sue, give Ben a great big

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))

from his auntie sue.............LOL

I'm so glad ben is home with you..even if he is all buzzed out! I too had a cat thta we needed to give subcutaneous fluids to, and it work well for him (his name was Ben, also) so see, I do have a soft spot for your Ben!! Give your Ben a chinner scratch for me & Tell him Zack & Ziggy are thinking of him

+ Reply to Thread