+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

1. Re: Not been around much this week due to

Rose your garden looks a peacefull haven and aww the pond and fish are stunning .
    None of mine play with toys or balls... how did you teach them that??
    In answer to this.....patience and lots of it lol, I started with the fish feeding from my hand first which takes months and even then some would not take only a few and luckily chunky was one of these few. I then noticed C would literllay follow me round the pond when cleaning and tdying up so we grew a kinda bond and eventually C would come to have a stroke with my finger (make sure you hav,nt used any hand creams or washing powder detergents prior to doing this as the chemicals can react with fish),. I then read up that some koi will play so i placed a ping pong ball in the water and just flicked it around now n then and for weeks and eventaully C took notice and literally just pushed his nose up from under the ball, and the more i played then the more interest he took and eventaully he would chase the ball lol Hubby however thought I wasmaking C too tame in case anyone decided to steal the fish but luckily when hubby went near the fish they hid. Fish learn to trust from your hands. If when feeding you keep your hands in the water and eventaully they see who is feeding and not swim away and hence they get to know you.
    Our Uk gardens are long and formal in the city and most leave them with neat borders, however, I do love shrubs that are big and help create different aspects and rooms and although my garden is long and formal at the moment, it has been planted so that once established the huge shrubs will take the neat borders away andthen I can start getting creative with the spaces. Our next big job is to knock the 3 sheds down and build one huge one across the back garden and screen these off with archways and climbing roses, next year hopefully. Will try and post a pic later but it is still a bit untidy at the moment so bear with me lol .

2. Re: Not been around much this week due to (updated with pics)

As you can see I have my own guardian of the pond lol yup thats my Ben keeping his eye out for nasty herons .
    The garden is so long and at the back are 3 sheds which will be demolished to make way for hubbies super shed to go from one side to the other and he will build this himself next year. So much to do yet on the garden and not having the best of weather here in the Uk means every sunny day is spent out doing odd bits.
    More pics on my blog of my beautiful himallayan honeysuckle.
    Attached Images

3. Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

4. Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

Your garden looks nice Sue, and I am sure when you get your makeover ideas established it will be a wonderful place to be. Like you I dont like things too formal. Mine is more like a wildlife country garden LOL

Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

oh what a pity you waited until I went home.... I love making mud pies......

6. Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

Thanks for the info, Sue! I'll have to try some things with mine... I have a couple who will follow me around and if we are in the pond, will come and nudge us. Sherbet (the white and orange butterfly koi) will come right out of the water when she's grabbing food, and the solid white one has jumped clear out of the water.... when SHE wants, LOL, not when I want.

I can see how you'd laid out some of your shrubbery and can picture what it's going to look like when it has a chance to mature. When it all comes together, it's going to be stunning! Ours has been a work in progress for six years now. I did drop by your blog and check out that honeysuckle. You're right... it IS gorgeous.

What kind of plants are you planning to put in your garden, once you get to the point where you are adding flowers? Since I'm in US and you are in UK, I'm curious to know how alike (or different) the plant options are. Do you plan to grow any lavender?
    Cathy at the Seaside Rose Cottage
    Visit my Blog! (Scroll all the way down to see the pictures of our fabulous gardens.)

Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

I'm loving both your gardens!!! I had wanted a pond here at our place, but haven't been able to convince hubby as of yet. Maybe I'll have to settle for a "house pond"! Your stories are making me want to keep fish again!!! Thanks for posting pics and sharing your beautiful spots!
    Tracey

My Photography Blog
    My Craft Blog

BINGO numbers: 47, 8, 72, 98, 65, 28, 92, 35

8. Re: Not been around much this week due to(updated last post with pics)

What a lovely garden! Looks like your cat can't wait to have a fish dinner.

+ Reply to Thread