+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a good kick in the.......

I need a good kick in the.......

BUTT!
    HELP me!
    I need a solid pep talk.
    I haven't been to Curves since the beginning of July.
    With the grandchildren here, the wedding, plus a 'female problem' I just couldn't get there.
    I was all set to go...walking and working into getting back to Curves when my hip started hurting so bad I could hardly walk.
    So, 2 weeks later, and I'm not only not back to Curves, and I am not taking my walks either.
    Oh, the hip is much better, but because I was walking 'funny' my knee now hurts.
    I am eating "whatever!"
    I now have 16# to get to my original goal instead of the 5# I had to go back in the spring!
    HELP me!
    What are you all doing to lose your extra pounds that might not require hurting your hip and/or knee?
    I am considering going back to Weight Watchers...something I vowed I'd never do.
    I'll listen to anything you have to tell me!
    Joanie

Re: I need a good kick in the.......

aww..Joanie, we all get side tracked here and there. I like swim aerobics and those do not hurt your joints, so you might consider that. I ahve been eating moire veggies and walking, I have been all summer and have managed to shed 15 pounds, but it is slow going. good luck

I hear you Joanie. I quit Curves and started going to yoga. I like it so much better. Find something you love, not something that's a chore.

4. Re: I need a good kick in the.......

Heck Joanie ... I sure can't tell you what to do because I sure need the pep talk too. I find as I'm getting older, the weight is coming on much easier and I am not too happy about it either. Being short is the pits as every 5 pounds shows on me . I have arthritis in both knees and then with my high blood pressure, I know I would be so much better off if I would lose 15-20 lbs. but its hard. I can't get motivated. I am good for a few weeks then I cave again.

I need to get my butt out and walk more. That's what I "need" to do!!

I will be watching this post to see what advice you get. We need to nudge each other!!!
    The Shackretary

Did you notice I didn't mention my weight in my post. I don't want to talk about that right now. The whole time I was away last week I ate and ate and ate. I think it was a stress thing, even my super skinny SIL ate the whole time we were there. It didn't help that my BIL is an amazing baker and was constantly making muffins, cookies, and every other yummy thing you can imagine. Oh well, I went to yoga yesterday, so that counts for something.

Loosing weight is extremely hard to do. Since joining the fitness center in July, I have been going every single day (give or take a day or two). I walk on the treadmill for 3-4 miles an hour on an incline; I take water aerobics 3 times a week for an hour and I do a cardio class for an hour twice a week. My life has changed a whole lot to just focus on going to the fitness center. I try to eat my lunch there as everything in the cafe is under 500 calories and I have also been watching what I eat since talking to the nutritionist and having her make a meal plan for me. So far I've lost 2 inches and 32 lbs. I am really glad to have joined the center as I have a lot of discouraging days and when they happen there is ALWAYS someone there to give me a pep talk to keep me going back. At my request, my mother sent me a core ball for my birthday. I also went out and bought myself 2-5 lb dumbbells so now I even do some exercising at home to build up my core and my upper body. I have set a weight goal for myself and I have a long way to go. I hope I can keep motivated. As someone else said, we all need to give each other encouragement to focus on our goal. Believe it or not, my main goal is to climb the 30 ft. rock wall that is at the gym. That rock wall is very intriguing to me but I have a lot of strengthening to work on. Find what you enjoy doing so your exercise doesn't feel like a chore; and if you don't have a workout buddy and you get discouraged, post here and hopefully someone will encourage you to continue on to your goal. I KNOW WE CAN ALL DO IT IF WE SET OUR MINDS TO IT!

In addition, my meals are eaten in moderation now. I don't deprive myself of chocolate or bread or anything else I love. I just eat a little so to satisfy my craving. Where in the past my snacks consisted of chips, cookies or chocolate now they are apples, yogurt or healthy food. I hope this helps you.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

7. Re: I need a good kick in the.......

Oh Joanie - I wish I had the answer. I skipped Curves most of the last six weeks due to some work travel and spending weekends at the lake. I've only gained two lbs but I'm no where near as firm as I was when I was working out every day. I feel so flabby and am so tired. This week I started back on the WW online routine and got to Curves twice. The thing is I feel so much better when I go but I have a hard time juggling other things in my life to make time for myself. We're leaving for NYC at 10 am tomorrow and my Curves opens at 8am on Saturdays. I am hoping to get their when they open so that I can get a workout in but honestly I'm tired and have a lot to do before we leave in the morning so chances are I will talk myself right out of going in the morning! I only have six weeks until my walk and I need to get back into my fitness routine quickly. I guess giving each other peptalks and encouragement will have to get us motivated! Maybe we should have a thread to post our daily fitness progress - writing it down may make it happen?

I hope you can get yourself back on track too.
    Teresa

Good morning Ladies, so sorry that you are feeling that it is harder and harder to work out. I am all for finding an exercise out there that is fun...b/c when it becomes a "chore" then it is no fun and harder to get yourself to do it. There are so many exercises out there that I am sure you can find something....I have a few in home walking videos that I use from time to time when I get bored other things. I LOVE going to the gym, but that's me. I love using the treadmill. For me, I want to get 6 pack abs before my 20 yr high school reunion next summer and so that is kind of my motivation. I have my days when I eat too much and don't work out...But what I tell myself is to get on track the next day. If I do really bad or even a little bad one day, I make sure that I do really good the next. For example, this past Wed I ate a lot of junk food (I don't eat junk food normally) and I didn't get to work out and then on Thursday (this was a BIG NO-NO) I ate just about everything in sight at work and didn't get a work out in then either as I didn't have the time both days...So, when I weighed myself on Friday I noticed that the scale was up a couple pounds and so I decided to eat 1300 cals or less on Friday (yesterday), so it could hopefully go back down...I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself everyday...and I don't obsess over it, but I like to monitor it daily just to keep an eye on it. Granted, I have not worked out since the beginning of the week due to no time...but will get back to it this weekend.

I find that what motivates me is that I want to tone up before I get older where it is harder to lose weight. But my advice is to find something you enjoy and something you know you will like to do daily or a few times a week and just take it one day at a time. Losing weight is slow if you are doing it right and I know it feels like forever when you are waiting for the scale to go down, but lots of people base it on how their clothes fit as that might be a better way and maybe a less stressful way to monitor your weightloss. I just focus on each day individually and try to eat right each day and I try to get in exercise daily if I am able to.

I think if WW works for you, Joanie, then go for it! Having that support system really works. I am on another site for a losing weight swap/ where we encourage each other on the site and we send packages that are uplifting as well as craft related. It's nice to be able to talk to others about losing weight..I think that can be motivational as well.

Good luck...and sorry for the book

Just wanted to add that I've lost 10 lbs since Dec 2008, so it's take me about 9 months to lose 10 lbs LOL...but like I said...I remember when I first started going to the gym and talking to the receptionist and how down I was that I wasn't losing any weight, but then it came off a little at a time. And people at work noticed and she noticed as well...a few months down the line. I think if you stick with it you will see results.

I know a lot of people think when they overdo it for a day they think the whole week is shot and continue to not eat well...but I believe if you overdo it one day...just eat right and do better the next and so on. I think we are allowed to screw up here and there as long as we don't let that dictate are eating habits.
    Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by teabear View Post
    Did you notice I didn't mention my weight in my post. I don't want to talk about that right now. The whole time I was away last week I ate and ate and ate. I think it was a stress thing, even my super skinny SIL ate the whole time we were there. It didn't help that my BIL is an amazing baker and was constantly making muffins, cookies, and every other yummy thing you can imagine. Oh well, I went to yoga yesterday, so that counts for something.
    I hear ya Tami. I have no will power when it comes to yummy foods lol..But as long as you get back on track...good for you for going to yoga yesterday! That is all that matters

I usually buy the 100 cal packs and eat them when I am hungry, I was eating fruits all summer but now they are so expensive and not a good quality as they are getting to be out of season...
    Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by tojoco View Post
    Loosing weight is extremely hard to do. Since joining the fitness center in July, I have been going every single day (give or take a day or two). I walk on the treadmill for 3-4 miles an hour on an incline; I take water aerobics 3 times a week for an hour and I do a cardio class for an hour twice a week. My life has changed a whole lot to just focus on going to the fitness center. I try to eat my lunch there as everything in the cafe is under 500 calories and I have also been watching what I eat since talking to the nutritionist and having her make a meal plan for me. So far I've lost 2 inches and 32 lbs. I am really glad to have joined the center as I have a lot of discouraging days and when they happen there is ALWAYS someone there to give me a pep talk to keep me going back. At my request, my mother sent me a core ball for my birthday. I also went out and bought myself 2-5 lb dumbbells so now I even do some exercising at home to build up my core and my upper body. I have set a weight goal for myself and I have a long way to go. I hope I can keep motivated. As someone else said, we all need to give each other encouragement to focus on our goal. Believe it or not, my main goal is to climb the 30 ft. rock wall that is at the gym. That rock wall is very intriguing to me but I have a lot of strengthening to work on. Find what you enjoy doing so your exercise doesn't feel like a chore; and if you don't have a workout buddy and you get discouraged, post here and hopefully someone will encourage you to continue on to your goal. I KNOW WE CAN ALL DO IT IF WE SET OUR MINDS TO IT!

In addition, my meals are eaten in moderation now. I don't deprive myself of chocolate or bread or anything else I love. I just eat a little so to satisfy my craving. Where in the past my snacks consisted of chips, cookies or chocolate now they are apples, yogurt or healthy food. I hope this helps you.
    Joanne, I am all for all of us encouraging each other on a thread. I think that is a great way to keep us all motivated.

I see you post on FB about your workouts as well and reading what you do..motivates me!

Good luck!
    Darlene

+ Reply to Thread