+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our lab has cancer

1. Our lab has cancer

We have been taking our black Lab Rookie back and forth to the vet several times because his right front leg keeps getting swollen and painful. Tuesday night dh took him again and they kept him at the hospital because his temp was 105. They put him on iv's, antibiotics and cage rest. They xrayed him yesterday morning and called to tell us he has bone cancer. We were blown away. We were expecting a small fracture in the leg, or something absolutely not cancer. I cried and cried at my desk when he called me at work. Later yesterday they xrayed his chest and said it was clear. There was no cancer in his lungs yet. Which is a GOOD thing.The vet said it is a very agressive cancer. Right now we brought him home on some meds to try and get the swelling down so he isn't quite so painful. After I got home from work last night I called the vet I used to work for who I trust 100%. She told me we probably have 6 months to 1 year with him. She said 1 year would be a gift. It's usually less time. If we can't get him in less pain than he is right now it certainly won't be that long. We love our critters like one of the family and we can't let him suffer. My vet friend said bone cancer will be very painful for him. Please say a little prayer for us, but mostly for him that we can get through this onset and try to make him comfortable for a little longer.He is only 6.5 years old. I'm not ready to let go of my baby yet.
    Kim

Close To My Heart Consultant

2. Re: Our lab has cancer

)))))))))))))) huge huge hugs ((((((((((((((((((((( I am so so very sorry to hear this about your beloved pet and can feel your pain.
    XXX Sue

Re: Our lab has cancer

Oh Kim my heart aches for you!! Just reading it brings tears to my eyes. Bless you as you go through this...it is so hard to have a sick pet! I hope you will be able to get him comfortable so that you can have some time with him.
    I am thinking of you!!

I am so sorry that you are going thru this. Hugs to you!
    shelley

Big hugs to you, Kim. I'm so sorry you have to go through this with your dog. It's such a tough thing.
    Tracey

My Photography Blog
    My Craft Blog

BINGO numbers: 47, 8, 72, 98, 65, 28, 92, 35

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this really tought time. It is hard to think about loosing a family member weather they have 2 or 4 legs they are love just the same and it is just as much heart ache.
    Suzanne

Oh no Kim! I am so sorry for what you are going though! I lost my dog Calvin at only 2.5 years old to bone disease. I will pray for him and you! HUGS!!!!
    Hugs,

You are special. Never stop believing that.

My Blog

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

OH no, sending you BIG hugs! H((((HUGS)))). It's always sad when our furbabies are ill. I know how you feel because mine is like my baby too. I will say a prayer for your baby.

9. Re: Our lab has cancer

Oh my gosh! Kim, I'm so deeply sorry for your dear Rookie. Absolutely prayers for him as well as comfort for you too in dealing and coping with this disease. I know you'll know when the time is right, but that won't make it any easier. I've been in your shoes and am crying openly right now just knowing how hard it is to see the pain and dealing with what lies ahead. Hugs and prayers.
    Jennifer

My blog

10. Re: Our lab has cancer

Kim, I'm so sorry for Rookie and your family. I will send prayers for your family.

+ Reply to Thread