+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

1. Re: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

Nope...but I never take any kind of flu shot. I wash my hands regularly and try to stay away from sick people...drink orange juice to boost my vitamin c...etc.

2. Re: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

I don't plan on getting it and neither are the kids or charlie.
    The Shackretary

Re: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

Well, I've been avoiding this thread because I wanted to think about it some more...but I see I should have read right away. Paula and ANgie, you two have made it very clear for me. Thank you.
    I am asthmatic and a cardiac patient...and I work with less than healthy people all the time. hhmm...I should call my cardiologist to see if he even has any...

I love how we all have our own areas of expertise (and opinions) and can help out on all kinds of things.
    ~Cheryl
    shadoob

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes. I have one child, a son, fully vaccinated and after a series of vaccines, he totally regressed in all developmental aspects. It was like a light switch change. A few months later, he was diagnosed with having Autism. I am not saying that vaccines were the sole cause of his Autism, but I do think they are a contributing factor. Aaron is 8 years old now and was diagnosed with Autism at age 2.5.
    I have another son, Morgan who we opted to delay vaccinations. He has only received a few and those were months/years apart. he received the DTaP Vaccination and that he received last year on his 4th birthday. He is developing right on task and is showing no signs of Autism.
    No one in our family has received the Flu vaccine. I received the regular Flu Vaccine as a teenager and got very, very ill and vowed never to get it again. In those 15 years, I have gotten the flu just one time in January of 2008, where we all got the Flu after a trip to Florida and traveled by airplane.
    Our local school is doing the H1N1 Flu shot and regular shot for free in the elementary school and i have declined it for a second time. No one in my family will be getting the Flu shot. Too many preservatives are in the vaccines that I don't approve of, my oldest son who has Autism already has elevated levels of heavy metals in his system and I do not wish to increase the levels with the Flu Vaccines. Heavy Metals such as Thimerasol (Mercury) cause brain damage and I do not wish myself or my small children to have that in their bodies.

I will also add, that I am supposed to get the shot because I have very bad Asthma and have chest infections regularly, but I will not be getting the Flu Vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by MnMommy2 View Post
    I will also add, that I am supposed to get the shot because I have very bad Asthma and have chest infections regularly, but I will not be getting the Flu Vaccine.

The flu vaccine and H1N1 is available in thimerasol free.

I would say to you good luck and that you are entitled to your own choosing for your family. We work with un-vaccinated children too as the parent has to feel they are doing the right thing. I have seen many children excluded from school when there is an outbreak such as Pertussis (whooping cough) but once again it is entirely up to mom and dad about vaccines. In North Carolina-there are several vaccines required for school but a family can decline them.
    I believe in "herd immunity" the more people vaccinated-the less disease and exposure we have to them.
    I hope your son with Autism will be ok and progress- I am very sorry you are having to go through this as a mom. But-remember you did what you thought was best. I truely do believe in mom's and dad's right to choose what they think is best for their family. We just offer the facts in public health.

I'm not saying I will never vaccinate my son, I just won't ever vaccinate as much as I did to such a little baby as I did with my firstborn Aaron. A small baby getting all those shots in my opinion isn't a one size fits all, some babies I believe can handle all the vaccines and I think some can not. The state of Minnesota schools do not discriminate against those parents who wish to hold off on vaccinations at this time, I just usually have to sign a waiver for the school district and the health clinic I bring my children to. I appreciate the facts Paula and in due time, I will feel comfortable giving more vaccines to my youngest.

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes.
    renee, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. they are your children and you must do what you think is best for them. i just have experience with kids who have passed away from something so simple that could have been prevented with vaccines that i base part of my thoughts on.

please don't every worry about sharing your thoughts here. no matter if they are different from others, you have the right to state your own opinions without worrying about being flamed (i haven't heard that term in a while!).

{click above for my craft blog!}

A small baby getting all those shots in my opinion isn't a one size fits all, some babies I believe can handle all the vaccines and I think some can not.
    Renee, I agree with you on this and I don't even have children. There are a lot of vaccinations these days, doctors need to use their best judgment based on the patient and not on what some list says should be done at what age. My best friend had some of her sons shot spaced out this summer and he's now 13!

Kathy

I don't know if I will get it, but I want my daughter to get it. Her drs office only gets it in spurts and sells out everytime before I can make an appt. She got the flu mist already (she gets the seasonal flu shot every year). I've never been one to get the flu shot, but was going to this yr since for the past two yrs I have been out for a week in February/March due to being sick...
    Darlene

+ Reply to Thread