+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

1. Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

I am undecided at this point. I went searching for pros and cons and this blog popped up.

I found the information she presents really scary, but if half of it's true, I'm not getting the shot. I just try to take better care through eating, resting and keeping away from sick people. I do worry about my children and grandchildren, though.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

my thoughts...like other vaccines, some people will be against it on principle. i still don't understand how in this day and age people won't immunize their children. i see it often at work. but that's another topic.

about what's in the vaccine itself...if you read up on other vaccines, they contain alot of the same ingredients (ie thimerosal-mercury...it's a preserving agent, egg products-which is an allergy risk).

the h1n1 shot. i did get it. i figure, i'm high risk for two reasons. i have asthma. and i work in healthcare. the amount of sick kids we've seen so far is enough for me to not want to get the flu. a lot of healthy people are getting whipped by this bug. so imagine those with chronic illness or low immune systems. they were vaccinating employees at work last weekend (not yesterday...) and i haven't heard anyone who has had any ill effects from it.

i just wish everyone made this big of deal about the regular flu every year. many people die each year from the good old flu but it's not as publicized.

{click above for my craft blog!}

Shuggy thanks for the insider's perspective! I have been wondering myself. Typically I have had no second thoughts about getting flu shots. Since I was in the military they force you to get all kinds of things--lots experimental. I got the flu shot each year since I was in the military. Actually we're supposed to be getting them today at work (if they let me sicne I just got over being sick!)

Part of me says that no worries about getting the other shot since it is similar to the flu shot. Other part of me says it is so new, should I hold off? Also debating cause this new swine flu seems to take down folks in my age range.....BUT then they always announce that there was some sort of pre-existing condition like asthma that contributed....

So I am still undecided. I guess if I had the chance to get it I would--I am doing a bunch of travel for work lately, which is how I came up with my most recent head cold. Flying around in a petri dish..... So I might get it to avoid the high liklihood of getting sick with more air travel coming up.

But not offered around here--at least not to folks like me yet.
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

4. Re: Are you getting the H1N1 flu shot?

Thanks, Angie. As a knowledgeable, medical person I respect your comments. I have asthma and may reconsider. As an aside, I'm in favour of immunizing children from birth onwards. All mine, and my grandchildren, have had shots and no probs.

Angie-YOU say it all so well!!! I can tell you from the public health standpoint if children were to immunized it would be better for all.

I too got the H1N1 vaccine (shot) and have had no problems, we about 12 days out from getting it. My DH got his too as he is at risk- I am at risk in that I have to work or respond to mass vaccination clinics etc-just as health care workers in the hospitals are at risk.
    Our staff is divided among those that took it and those that didn't. No one has had any problems from the shot or the mist.
    This vaccine is made just as the other vaccine (Seasonal flu) therefore would expect no greater side effect. The production is better now than in the early 70's when we had the swine flu epidemic and vaccine.
    This the first time that during a pandemic that we have had vaccine available.
    We can't keep it-we are administring it as soon as it comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCats? View Post
    Shuggy thanks for the insider's perspective! I have been wondering myself. Typically I have had no second thoughts about getting flu shots. Since I was in the military they force you to get all kinds of things--lots experimental. I got the flu shot each year since I was in the military. Actually we're supposed to be getting them today at work (if they let me sicne I just got over being sick!)

Part of me says that no worries about getting the other shot since it is similar to the flu shot. Other part of me says it is so new, should I hold off? Also debating cause this new swine flu seems to take down folks in my age range.....BUT then they always announce that there was some sort of pre-existing condition like asthma that contributed....

So I am still undecided. I guess if I had the chance to get it I would--I am doing a bunch of travel for work lately, which is how I came up with my most recent head cold. Flying around in a petri dish..... So I might get it to avoid the high liklihood of getting sick with more air travel coming up.

But not offered around here--at least not to folks like me yet.

Routinely if you are over 24 years, we are saying you must have a medical condition or be in the health care field-which includes: police, fire, first responders etc...or be a caretaker of a child under 6 months of age

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Carden View Post
    Routinely if you are over 24 years, we are saying you must have a medical condition or be in the health care field-which includes: police, fire, first responders etc...or be a caretaker of a child under 6 months of age
    Yeah, thanks Paula. I didn't think I would be able to get one anyway, so I felt free to let my mind float back and forth between "yes" and "no". I have no kids, I am over 24, no pre-existing conditions that would cause me to need one urgently. Just a bunch of flying.
    :-)
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

Quote Originally Posted by GotCats? View Post
    Yeah, thanks Paula. I didn't think I would be able to get one anyway, so I felt free to let my mind float back and forth between "yes" and "no". I have no kids, I am over 24, no pre-existing conditions that would cause me to need one urgently. Just a bunch of flying.
    :-)
    Flying does put us at more risk-but hopefully soon they will get enough vaccine produced that we can offer it to all that want it.

If I have to move in with my folks I should get both as I work with the public..in a hands on way and both my folks are at risk. I guess I should be keeping my eyes open for flu clinics

Both DH and I will get both.
    Actually, I've had the regular flu shot already.
    I have asthma, and DH has diabetes.
    Does anyone have a medical opinion on the Shingles shot?
    My allergy doctor wants me to have it.
    Joanie

+ Reply to Thread