+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks until Thanksgiving in the US!!

1. 2 weeks until Thanksgiving in the US!!

Can you believe it? What are your plans? Are you cooking? Are you expecting company? What's on your menu if you are cooking?

I am cooking, just for us 4, no company . I am making turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, stuffing (Charlie is the only one who eats the stuff), rolls and pumpkin pie .... Mmmm

Re: 2 weeks until Thanksgiving in the US!!

heading to the city of sin. this will make the third time this year! my friend told me i should own stock!! it's just that it's so easy to go there (it's not too far to drive and cheap to fly if you do it early enough) and it has what kerry and i both love. poker for him and sun/pool for me! we are going for 4 days. leaving afternoon on wednesday (takes 6 hours to drive there) and coming home sunday. so i plan on getting a lot of swaps done, since i can take unlimited number of supplies!!

i have no idea what we will do for actually dinner on thanksgiving. we do have a suite with a kitchen, but who wants to cook a turkey on vacation?

{click above for my craft blog!}

We are going out with us, brother, his gf and my mom. I WAS going to be hosting it for the first time ever in my 46 years but my mother insists it's too much work. Gee for 5 people? I wouldn't know, you never let me do it! So we're going to a big buffet, it was very nice last year, but it is pricey and then you have no leftovers! I may buy a turkey anyway and make it in Jan or Feb. just because.

Kathy

We are constantly traveling to both inlaws and to my parents and my gma's turkey turkey, ham and stake but I will only help cook at mil and my parents I would love to host but house is to small for extra large family.

I need to have this talk with my mom. I'm sure we will have dinner there, but It's too much for her to do alone..though she would never say so. I need to talk to her and see what I can do and who is coming..I have it figured out that if I tell her I want "learn" how she lets me do more, lol

I'm hosting a whole dinner for 7 or 9 on the saturday before Thanksgiving. Cooking the whole traditional thing- turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, creamed corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie. My mom is having surgery that week and will still be in the hospital on the actual day. Will probably have dinner on Thanksgiving at the little coffee shop across the street from the hospital. We did that 2 years ago, too. Dejavu. At least we will have dinner together before she goes in this time.

Quote Originally Posted by teabear View Post
    I'm hosting a whole dinner for 7 or 9 on the saturday before Thanksgiving. Cooking the whole traditional thing- turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, creamed corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie. My mom is having surgery that week and will still be in the hospital on the actual day. Will probably have dinner on Thanksgiving at the little coffee shop across the street from the hospital. We did that 2 years ago, too. Dejavu. At least we will have dinner together before she goes in this time.
    My thoughts will be with your family Tami, and I'm glad that you can celebrate together ahead of time

Funny you should post this today, I was just thinking this morning I needed to check with the family and see what we are doing.
    Tracey

My Photography Blog
    My Craft Blog

BINGO numbers: 47, 8, 72, 98, 65, 28, 92, 35

9. Re: 2 weeks until Thanksgiving in the US!!

We're going to my mom's again. I don't really "want" to but I decided it's easier if I go there, bring everything w/me & cook in her kitchen than having her here where I can't get away from here & have to entertain her constantly. Turkey w/stuffing, mashed taters & gravy, mac & cheese, corn, rolls, cranberry sauce (for my parents only, BLUCK!!) and then various pies.

The only problem w/this plan is that Scott's mom will be left alone. His sis is coming into town but leaving the Wed before to have t'giving w/her kids in TX and his bro won't drive up from the OTHER side of TX. I'm feeling really guilty about it but she's being stubborn too. We told her we'd take her to her sis but we'd have to take her EARLY on Wed before we leave town. She doesn't want to go early. She can't drive herself. Her BIL MIGHT come & get her but that's alot of work for him (the live an hour away, near Archivers. LOL)

10. Re: 2 weeks until Thanksgiving in the US!!

I'm hosting again for the third year in a row. I really enjoy it! It does get expensive because my parents/brothers come and my in-laws too. Here's what I make:

turkey
    mashed potatoes (keep warm in a crockpot)
    gravy
    noodles (I buy amish noodles)
    praline yams (crockpot)
    sausage cornbread stuffing (crockpot)
    rolls (I buy frozen yeast rolls)
    deviled eggs (recipe from a Shackie that uses garden veggie cream cheese spread)
    2 pumpkin pies
    persimmon pudding

I keep all of my recipes together and I even have a list of what I do the day before, which crockpot I use for which dish, and what time to start it. Being organized helps, LOL!

+ Reply to Thread