+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lake Champlain bridge

1. Lake Champlain bridge

Some of you may have heard of Lake Champlain. For a few days it was listed as the 6th Great Lake. Anyhow, we live about 45 minutes from the southern end of the lake and we kept one of our boats at a marina in Port Henry, New York which is about an hour and a half north of where we live. There is a bridge that goes from the New York side to the Vermont side of the lake and it was closed in October and deemed not repairable. The bridge is being imploded into the lake tomorrow morning. We don't necessarily agree with this but government officials have made the decision. The date has changed a few times but it looks like the bridge will be demolished tomorrow morning. My DH and our good friend Lee, who also keeps his boat at the same marina, left this afternoon for a winter camping trip to an old cabin at our marina. Because the roads will be closed early tomorrow, heavy traffic and lots of media in the area, Gary & Lee packed up our truck and headed north this afternoon. They are setting up camp inside an old cabin at our marina. There's a woodstove, Dish Network (but no tv), no running water or indoor plumbing. Gary packed an old tv, loaded up his truck with wood, a portable heater, lawn chairs, carbon monoxide detector, grill, sleeping bag, lots of warm clothes, ear plugs, and cooler and away they went like two kids on Christmas eve! They will have front row seats as the marina faces the bridge but is not close enough for them to be in any danger.

My dad is taping the implosion from the Vermont side for the Albany NY tv stations.

Here's a link showing the bridge.

Lee's wife and I decided to stay home where we can watch the imposion on live tv, with the comforts of heat and indoor plumbing . I'm sure the guys will have lots of stories to share and some great pictures! I'm off to do a little shopping before I hunker down for the night in front of the fire with a good book and Bentley!
    Teresa

Re: Lake Champlain bridge

wow, I'm surprised they would dirty up teh lake that way!! oh well it will sure make for a good boys trip!! so whta fun are you up while tehy are gone??

That is a big bridge to come down! And when I think of all the permits frm the Dept of Environment a person as to get here to move a rock in a brook, I can only imagine what the paperwork was for that!

I will look for it on the news. we spent a lot of time in Lake Champlain as kids, at the northern end, in Alburg VT.
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

4. Re: Lake Champlain bridge

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    wow, I'm surprised they would dirty up teh lake that way!! oh well it will sure make for a good boys trip!! so whta fun are you up while tehy are gone??
    I wanted to treat one of my son's to dinner but they are both busy reffing hockey tonight. I'm headed to the grocery store and then home for the night. Probably a little internet surfing and then reading in front of the fire with Bentley at my feet!
    Teresa

5. Re: Lake Champlain bridge

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    That is a big bridge to come down! And when I think of all the permits frm the Dept of Environment a person as to get here to move a rock in a brook, I can only imagine what the paperwork was for that!

I will look for it on the news. we spent a lot of time in Lake Champlain as kids, at the northern end, in Alburg VT.
    I do know where Alburg is. It's been quite a media topic since they abruptly closed the bridge. They weren't going to take it down or rebuild it until the locals made a trip to the state capital. It turned into a political issue so the permits were issued fairly quickly! Lots of people traveled over the bridge to and from work and now have to drive 90 miles out of their way in each direction. It's crazy!
    Teresa

That would be a nasty commute!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

seems to me maybe they should use some of President Obama's stimulus $$ and build a new bridge

Looks like it was a beautiful bridge. I hate to see old things done away with. Let's hope the new one is as eye-catching.

9. Re: Lake Champlain bridge

Here's a link if you want to watch the implosion live at 10:00 AM eastern time -
    Teresa

10. Re: Lake Champlain bridge

Just saw the video on MSNBC website. Looks like it was snowing - I hope your dh stayed warm. It looks very cold.

+ Reply to Thread