+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empanadas

Empanadas

Brian wants me to make Empanadas.

it looks HARD on the internet

Not so much the filling, that looks easy, but I have issues with homemade dough. I can make bread all day long, biscuits too. Pies though? HECK TO THE NO. And Pasties, nope! You could kill a person with the pasties I make.

So I need a SIMPLE empanada dough recipe. Because I'm not in the habit of turning Brian down when he actually comes out and asks for something (which is VERY rare was he's not very demanding)

So I HAVE to make empanadas. :shock:

Help!

Re: Empanadas

I found this cheater recipe with biscuit dough:
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/beef-e...pe/Detail.aspx

3. Re: Empanadas

go buy those big wonton squares. That's what I've used and it's yummy!!

4. Re: Empanadas

This recipe uses the Pillsbury All Ready Pie crust, which I have used for pies with much success.

http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/Sho...aspx?rid=40591

I was wondering about all ready made pie dough from the refrigerated case. I think I'd try that. I share your pie dough fear.

Funny you should ask! I just took a Tamale and Empanada class!

Here is the Empanada dough we used: (we used a food processor which I do not have at home--I would just cut in with a pastry blender):
    1 TBL salt
    1 TBL baking powder
    2 cups flour
    1 cup Masa Harina (for the life of me I can't remember what this was! Like a corn meal I think?)
    2 TBL shortening
    6-12 oz water

In food processor blend salt, powder, flour, and Masa Harina. Pulse in the shortening to pea size. Add water little at a time to form a dough consistency.

I have the empanada filling recipe they had us use (which was HORRIBLE!) but here is the Tamale recipe for filling--tastes good in the dough!

16oz smoked braised or roasted pork butt (yes, the recipe actually says "butt")
    12 oz onion, small dice
    1 oz butter
    8oz braising liquid from pork butt
    1TBL minced garlic
    1TBL cilantro, minced
    1tsp garlic powder
    1/4tsp salt
    1 cup black beans, cooked and chopped
    1 cup roasted corn

Saute onions and garlic in butter, add pork and heat thoroughly. Add broth and simmer slowly to reduce by half. Add cilantro and cumin. Mixture should be slightly moist. Black beans and/or roasted corn are added as garnish if desired.

ENJOY!!!
    Tricia =^..^=
    www.PurrsAndPants.com

+ Reply to Thread