+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

1. Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

Ok, I went to Michael's last night & got what I think I might need for my canvas. (Thanks Ang from rising up from you sick bed to advise me!!!!) So, I bought canvases (canvi???) mod podge & gesso. Now that I'm home & looking at my canvas, it says it's pre-gessoed. Do I still need the $15 tub of gesso? Will it work better if I re-gesso? Will I use it for something else? I'd really like to find that transfer medium Angie shared (was it here or FB??) 'cause that was NEATO!!! If I can take back the gesso & buy the transfer, that would be cool. If I need the gesso, the transfer can wait..... (Scott came with me & almost had a heart attack at what I spent. LOL)

Please, someone guide this mis-guided "artist" who can't paint her way out a paper bag.

Re: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

No, Suzi, you don't need the gesso then. The gesso would help for giving your canvas "tooth" to help adhere stuff to it. But since it's already gessoed, you're all set. Also, gesso can be found in bottles and is a lot cheaper than a tub of gesso. With M's 40% coupons, that should help even more. I've got bottles and it lasts quite some time.
    Renu
    My Art Journey Blog: http://midnitecreations.blogspot.com/

3. Re: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

Well, the bottle was like $12 & the tub was $14 for twice as much. Maybe I'll make scott stop & look for the transfer medium; does anyone know if you can get that at Ms???

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

I don't use it. I just slap my acrylic paint on there let it dry then start gluing stuff on!!!

I second what Renu said, my gesso is in a small bottle like the acrylic paint comes in. My canvases are also pre-gessoed so I was going to use it for any areas that I might want to color on top of the base color.

Kathy

6. Re: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
    I was going to use it for any areas that I might want to color on top of the base color.
    Huh?? Explain please.

I think I am REALLY in over my head on this. I know I shoudl stretch my comfort zone & EVERYTHING that Angie "makes" me do (just 'cause she's soooo cool & I want to be her when I grow up!!!) I usually end up liking but this could be EVER so wrong. I am NOT artistic. This is painting & stuff!! I can't paint!!!! Ok, I'll shut up now & just go "do it" and see what happens. I bought extra canvases, just in case. LOL

Ok, Miss Suzi, I got it from here http://www.tracywburgos.typepad.com/...love_l/page/2/ Go down the page to June 5 so it must have been from the Monday night June 4. She painted the canvas with the yellow and the green, then with the charcoal pencil she drew in the glass. She filled in the glass with gesso since she wanted to make that the red/pink color.

I am definitely not an artist either but watching all these really inspires me that I can let go of some perfection issues and try it. Why don't you just try your ideas out on some paper before your canvas? I have to venture out to a different Michael's cause my closest one doesn't have canvas in the size I need. I hate to go to Joann since I have gift cards for Michaels! But they aren't that much so I think I need to break down and just get one. I do have a 8 x8 and some 8x 10, I think. Too many projects swirling around in my brain. I need to just do it!

Kathy

8. Re: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

Ok, NOW I get it... I have no ideas swirling, that's just it. I bought some canvases last year 'cause I wanted to do something w/some awesome Unity stamps for my foyer..... Maybe it was 2 years ago??? Still haven't touched them. I just have no ideas on what to do... Im going to get them all out tonite & do SOMETHING, even if it's wrong. LOL

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

If you are using acrylic paint I don't see why you need gesso. I have done a couple of canvas, one in the gallery here and one on Facebook, and I didn't use gesso. I don't even own it. I just paint with acrylic paint straight onto the canvas

10. Re: Mixed Media Peeps, HELP!

I HATE what I've done!!!! It's icky!! I told you I had not ideas in my head... <sigh> Sorry Kirsty, I hope I come up w/something better before this swap is due!

+ Reply to Thread