+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

I just made chilli for the first time ever! I am serving it with yellow rice, cherry tomatoes, spring onion and sour cream on the side, but I am sure all you Americans that eat chilli all the time have some other good ideas about what goes with chilli. Please share, and feel free to share your chilli recipes too.
    Thanks
    Sarah

Re: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

Shred some sharp cheese for people to put on top of the hot chile. The cheese melts and tastes so great with the chile.
    I used to serve it with hard/bulky rolls. But I don't eat those anymore!!! Don't know what you call them, but here they have poppyseeds on top and they are about 4" in diameter.
    Chile sounds really good~~~
    Joanie

I like a biscuit with mine. (Canadians call biscuits something different than Brits so not sure if you Aussie are the same as "us" or "them" - NOt a cookie.) Baking powder dough rolled out, cut in a circle, baked and buttered!)
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Here in the south- it is common to have cornbread with chili or soup. I don't care much for cornbread so I usually will have saltine crackers. I like cheese in mine or on the side. Sounds like you may could make a salad with yours and put the chili on top.
    The Native Americans here have Indian Fry Bread- it is a thick batter and deep fried. The toppings are chili, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese. Some call it an Indian Taco.

Geez, I am totally boring! We just have chili, plain old chili! Sometimes we put some cheese on top, but that's it. Like Paula said I sometimes will put in some saltines as I also dislike cornbread. I have to say the thought of putting it on top of a salad sounds kind of wrong to me.

And I can't believe you just now made chili, Sarah! I grew up eating it, probably time for some soon. Seems to be something we make more in the cooler weather for some reason. Guess cause comfort food lends itself so well to chilly weather(pun not intended, just a happy accident!)

Kathy

shredded cheese, corn bread, or i like to serve some jalepeno poppers (frozen kind) with mine. but saying all that, Chilli is very satisfying on it's own too

I will have to look up "corn bread"...do you mean polenta? made with cornmeal?

oh, and Heather, a biscuit here means a cookie. What you are describing we would call a plain scone, and we wouldn't serve them with savoury food, just jam and cream. I find it odd when I hear of "biscuits and gravy"
    Sarah

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

Quote Originally Posted by loobylou View Post
    I will have to look up "corn bread"...do you mean polenta? made with cornmeal?

oh, and Heather, a biscuit here means a cookie. What you are describing we would call a plain scone, and we wouldn't serve them with savoury food, just jam and cream. I find it odd when I hear of "biscuits and gravy"
    cornbread is the recipe i gave you and you made and said it was like cake. it's made with cornmeal. here in texas the most popular thing to eat with chili are crackers. you take some saltine crackers and crumble them on top and mix them in!! biscuits are more like a scone but not totally like that. here are some biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I like my chili topped with shredded cheddar cheese and chili fritos.......yummmmm

I was going to say the same as Christie, scones are different than a biscuit and I wouldn't eat a scone with chili either! Biscuits are in the family of dinner rolls, but again not quite the same. Maybe more the same in flavor and differing mostly in texture. And Rebecca is right, Fritos are good with chili too, but Sarah probably doesn't have Fritos either. I had a coworker who loved tortilla chips when she brought chili for lunch.

Thanks for your post Sarah, this has been a fun and interesting thread. It's always cool to hear how different our foods can be.

And now I want to make some chili too.

Kathy

+ Reply to Thread