+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

Re: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

Quote Originally Posted by Christie View Post
    cornbread is the recipe i gave you and you made and said it was like cake. it's made with cornmeal. here in texas the most popular thing to eat with chili are crackers. you take some saltine crackers and crumble them on top and mix them in!! biscuits are more like a scone but not totally like that. here are some biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
    Christies recipe for corn bread reminds that corn bread in teh north is very different as ours is not sweet..

2. Re: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

My husband loves corn bread with his chili. I prefer oyster crackers ... those mini saltine type crackers. I also usually top off our chili with diced onion and some shredded cheese. Sounds yummy!
    Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    Christies recipe for corn bread reminds that corn bread in teh north is very different as ours is not sweet..
    This is curious to me as I consider myself "in the north"(no Cindi, not as north as you!) and I have always thought cornbread was on the sweet side.

Kathy

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

Quote Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
    This is curious to me as I consider myself "in the north"(no Cindi, not as north as you!) and I have always thought cornbread was on the sweet side.
    I don't know how much farther south you can get then southeast Texas but most of the time here, like if you get it at a restaurant it isn't sweet cornbread. Growing up, and even now, I don't know anyone who makes sweet cornbread besides myself. I never even had sweet cornbread until I was an adult and made it at home once and now that's how i prefer it. But....if I have company there is no way I'd put sugar in it, they would kill me!! LOL

Christie, since I am not a cornbread fan, maybe that was just the way I had it once and am misremembering(not surprising). But like I said, I have it in my head that cornbread is sweetish tasting.

Kathy

Cornbread here in western NC isn't suppose to be sweet either. We refer it to Yankee Cornbread if it has sugar in it (sorry not trying to offend anyone). Sometimes restuarants here will make something called cornpones and add a little sugar and then roll it in powder sugar while it oily as they are deep-fried like hushpuppies.

We also add many other things...corn, jalepenos, cheese etc..call it Mexican Cornbread.

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Carden View Post
    Cornbread here in western NC isn't suppose to be sweet either. We refer it to Yankee Cornbread if it has sugar in it (sorry not trying to offend anyone). Sometimes restuarants here will make something called cornpones and add a little sugar and then roll it in powder sugar while it oily as they are deep-fried like hushpuppies.

We also add many other things...corn, jalepenos, cheese etc..call it Mexican Cornbread.
    Yup, they call sweet cornbread yankee cornbread here too!!! I love the cornbread with cheese and jalapeno!! I haven't ever made it that way but I have eaten it before and it's yummy!!!

haha..I used to have a boyfriend from Biloxi(sp?) mississippi and when he tried moms corn bread he was horrified it was not sweet. he said if it wasn't sweet it wasn't corn bread..so I just assumed that southern cornbread is a sweet type.. see now I have learned something new..he was an idiot in more ways than one..lol no wonder i sent his butt back south

And I had to ask my mom about it since she does eat it and she said of all the times she has had it, it's slightly sweet too. Apparently cornbread can be very random!

Kathy

who knew corn bread could be so diverse! i love learning new stuff in random ways

+ Reply to Thread