+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

Re: what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

My Mom was Japanese. When she learned to make chili, she put an oriental spin on it. She put some sugar in it and served it over steamed rice. This is the way I make it.
    Mary

I always used Bisquik for my bisquits. Call me lazy...I don't care.
    I just looked up the recipe I have always used for corn bread. It's my grandmother's recipe.
    It is called Johnny Cake in our family. The history of that name came from early American times when people would walk long distances from one place to another. The original name was 'Journey Cake' but somehow became Johnny Cake for some reason. Apparently, the cakes traveled well and provided some necessary nutrition for the traveler.
    Our recipe has 2 Tablespoons of sugar for a square pan sized cake.
    I used to teach about early American history and New England.... in my 4th grade classes and these little tidbits of information I remembered from teaching.
    We used to make Johnny Cake in class and we'd churn our own butter to put on it. I used a metal coffee can and a "churner" made with Tinker Toys. We also used a closed jar and passed it around for everyone to shake until the cream turned to butter. Sometimes a brave student or 2 would try the buttermilk that was left in the jar or can after the butter was removed. I loved teaching this stuff!! And I think the kids loved it too! There's your history lesson for today!!! I grew up in New York State and taught there. This recipe was from NY. If anyone wants it, I'll try to figure out where to post it.

Yes, you are correct, we don't have Fritos (Kathy), and we also don't have Bisquick (Joanie). I know that ErinK says "all dogs feet smell like Fritos", so I guess I could just go smell my pups paws to get the idea..lol. I ended up serving my chilli with yellow rice (steamed rice with a dash of tumeric powder) so I guess I made it closer to Marycourtney's Japanese version. What culturally diverse mob we are at the Shack!

On the subject of cornmeal/polenta- my friend made a lemon polenta cake this week for morning tea and it was deliciously sweet. I should get her recipe to share. I tasted like lemon curd
    Sarah

that lemon cake sounds wonderfully tempting!

Mary's chili over rice sounds pretty good and I'd like to try that too.
    Joanie, when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade we also made butter in a mason jar in class one day and I remember how tasty it was to this day.
    Sarah, Fritos are corn chips and my dogs feet do not smell like Fritos. Erin must have special dogs. Oscars feet just smell like dog(and thankfully nothing else!).

Now I want chili, chili over rice, Fritos and lemon cake!

Kathy

Now I really, really want some chili and sweet cornbread!!! Today I'm making corned beef and cabbage. All the veggies are from my garden. DH is out there digging taters and carrots right now.
    Dee

I really need some of Sarah's lemon cake too!
    Dee

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

I want some chili now but i want it with crackers!!!

Crackers known by Americans are called biscuits by those across the pond. This thread has been very entertaining! Isn't it amazing the variety of foods across the world.

+ Reply to Thread