+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: I found a cool free class!

Re: I found a cool free class!

They were one of the giveaways the other day, maybe you'll win something!

Kathy

I just watched the one with the napkin card, flower and the textured journal page. I understand she may not speak English, but I would have liked a little more in the way of instruction. I have seen the napkin cards done before, but can only guess that she was using plastic wrap on the one layer and not sure what she used to iron on top. Someone's comment said wax paper but it didn't look like it to me. But I DO still want to make a napkin card!

Flower- i sat there watching her cutting up what I also guessed was fabric and then layer them and it wasn't until she started pleating it that I knew what she was doing. I said to hubby I just wasted all this time watching her make a pom pom? We must've made hundreds to decorate the cars for our wedding. Perhaps just a note on the screen saying cut x number of pieces into this size then layer them rather than watching it ALL done.

Kathy

3. Re: I found a cool free class!

thanks for the link.
    i have had signed up for it but not be able to look at everything

Quote Originally Posted by scrapsoon View Post
    thanks for the link.
    i have had signed up for it but not be able to look at everything
    Soon Han, I think she said that the links will be up for several months so you do have some time and most of them are fairly short. And some are not videos at all, just links to that days giveaway.

Kathy

5. Re: I found a cool free class!

Quote Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
    I just watched the one with the napkin card, flower and the textured journal page. I understand she may not speak English, but I would have liked a little more in the way of instruction. I have seen the napkin cards done before, but can only guess that she was using plastic wrap on the one layer and not sure what she used to iron on top. Someone's comment said wax paper but it didn't look like it to me. But I DO still want to make a napkin card!
    Ah-who moi/Lori shared this technique with us long ago (was that pre-stamp shack?). I miss that wonderful woman! Somewhere on the jumpstart site I read that there was a materials list below the online video...in addition to the one on Nat's site. Anyways I combined information for my own personal use since I too wanted to make a card. And Kathy, you were right regular paper or parchament is used but NOT wax paper.

Perhaps we should do that for the next technique challenge. Or do folks need a little longer to find a napkin they would like to use?

Here is the info from the jumpstart.
    --Cuchy Jumpstart #26
    https://vimeo.com/54245934
    Vimeo Video-3 things to do with a paper napkin
    1. Make a card
    Materials used for card: a paper napkin, regular cardstock, cling film wrap, parchment or copy paper to protect your iron from sticking.
    • Open napkin cut one quarter of the napkin to use for your card. (larger than card front). Napkins come in 2 or 4 ply. Separate layers to only use top layer.
    • Make a base of scrap papers, a folded card base face up, a piece of plastic wrap a little larger than card and then position napkin faceup where you want on the card. Cover the napkin with a sheet or two of the paper pad.
    • Using the "no steam" setting, press the card with firm pressure, holding it for 15-20 seconds on each part of the card. Allow to cool about 1 minute. Slowly pull back the paper and inspect the corners of the card to ensure the napkin has adhered to the card. If not, put the paper back over it and iron again.
    • Cut off the excess portion of the napkin, trimming it to the card size. Cut off the excess portion of the napkin, trimming it to the card size and finish as desired.
    2. In a journal-Materials used: a journal, paper napkin in pieces, gel medium, gesso, hair comb or similar object, markers
    3. Flower: Just the layers of a paper napkin and a string.

Thanks Jan, I missed the materials list. Yes, Lori did make them back on PC but that was so many years ago. I had vague memories of them, but didn't think it was plain Saran wrap for some reason. And remembered freezer paper which was probably why I never tried it.

I do have a napkin that I kept from somewhere last year, maybe the garden symposium I went to? Saved it for just such an occasion.

Kathy

7. Re: I found a cool free class!

Did you see today's jump start? Joe R shares ideas for using double stick tape. Wondering if folks have supplies to create something with that jumpstart inspiration. Is it a possible challenge in the future?

Just watched it and the first one especially was pretty fast and cool! I do have some sticker paper as I call it(well that's the name on the package too!) I may try this with some of my stencils. I have a lot of Pearl Ex that needs some love. And remember take the paper from the stencil, not the stencil from the paper!

Since I don't have a cutting machine like that the kiss cutting is too much work!
    Ok, so I just realized that my sticker paper is not the same thing! Just tried this with less than stellar results and was trying to figure out why when he made it look so easy! At first I thought it was just cause he's had so much practice or that my Pearl Ex must be different than the mica stuff he used. As I was mentally rewatching the video I realized that I only have one layer that comes off. And when I covered the part that had initially been covered my the stencil, the white sort of covered my image a little. Thank goodness I didn't choose a darker color for the background. Guess I will have to watch again and see how I can do better.
    Last edited by maxiesmom; 01-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Kathy

+ Reply to Thread