+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

I too had problems getting my store brand plastic wrap to adhere - I thought I was going to set fire to my copy paper with the iron, it took so long!
    But I did get a card made. And posted in the gallery - hope it's in the right place.
    Jan - this is also my last card for your ATC/Card swap - they will be in the mail first thing Monday morning.
    http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/sho...llenge&cat=628
    Chris
    A day without stamping is like a day without sunshine.

My Stamp Shack Gallery

2. Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Oh, I thought mine took so long since I started with cardstock instead of copy paper but now I am thinking the time of 15-20 seconds must have meant to keep the iron moving slowly from one place to another location. I too was expecting it to be bonded in less than a minute and that sure didn't happen. I did use Saran Wrap. I will add some extra notes to the instructions...thanks ladies for your comments we do want everyone to be safe and successful with this challenge!

It is fun to see the difference in napkin artwork! There is not much selection in designer paper napkins here. I have never seen any like your napkins Chris...they would be fun for tea and Heather love your playful design too!

Yes, Chris you card is in the correct gallery...and thanks for the heads-up that your swap is going into mail Monday.

I have done this a couple times..just spent 20 minutes looking through my gallery to find them..wow..bigger job than I am into..lol anyhow, what I have learned that the cheaper the plastic wrap, the better the results..so I use plastic wrap from the $ store for this as store brand is pretty good..$ store is better for this..gotta love that

So before I attempt this today- are people adhering the napkin right to a piece of cardstock and not copy paper? That was what I thought I saw/see in the directions, but then Jan mentions copy paper and am having a confusion moment. We're only using the copy/parchment for ironing on, right? And everyone else had better results with the name brand and Cindi has rocked it with cheapo stuff.

I have to iron scrubs today so the iron will already be out, might as well see how mine turns out. I have all my supplies sitting in the kitchen already.

Kathy

I used cardstock as the backing and it took almost 10 minutes of ironing. Maybe copy paper would stick better. It sure sticks to the thin napkin paper faster!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Just added my attempts to the gallery. I used a section of newspaper as my base to iron on, then a piece of copy paper, my cardstock piece, store brand(Meijer) cling wrap, napkin, then another piece of copy paper. I had almost no problems and it really only did take about 15-20 seconds per area. I did however go over all the areas multiple times, but nowhere near 10 minutes. I made sure to apply very hard pressure, so much that my shoulders hurt a little!

Only issue came when I didn't pay attention to my layers and must have done paper, cardstock, napkin and then cling! Couldn't figure out why it didn't stick at all??? When I went to peel the napkin off the copy paper to try again it all became clear cause it was stuck to the copy paper just fine! Just the wrong way!

Overall, I would have to say mine was pretty successful. Love it when that happens.

P.S. just let me say the time I goofed was on my LAST attempt, not even my first! That was what made it so embarrassing.
    Last edited by maxiesmom; 01-27-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: fessing up

Kathy

7. Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Yeah Kathy!
    Trying out a new technique and having a success is Happy Dance Time!
    So glad it worked once the paper was stacked correctlly!

Your napkin is beautiful! I love the finished texture is more like fabric than paper...but different!
    When I saw your gallery post I realize we were generally working with the main image but the graphic on the back of your napkin would make a terrific card background with a simple stamped image.
    Thankls so much for sharing your details! I find it really helpful to know what folks experience in their first attempts at a new technique.

Glad you had such quick success. And wow, just 25 seconds! Maybe my iron is not as hot, too. It was the first gift Fred ever bought me - we were dating at the time so that would be bout 25 years ago.
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Oh no, it didn't take only 25 seconds. Over the entire sheet it was probably at least a minute or 1 1/2, I really went over it and like I said applied lots of pressure.

Thanks for your comments. I actually saved that napkin from a gardening symposium I attended last March for just such an occasion! Have plans to attend again this year and you know I will be grabbing a couple more new ones.

Kathy

Grrr, trying this again right now. Same type of napkins, exact same roll of cling wrap as I had before and it is totally not wanting to stick to the paper. Had to come on here to make sure I am not missing something I did before. Nope, although my first one I did forget to separate the layers but I remembered before the second one. Will go try, try again.

Kathy

+ Reply to Thread