+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

1. Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Challenge: Experiment with any tip or technique presented in the jump start highlighted below. You only need to present you experiment effort in the gallery. If you complete an actual project we would certainly love to see that too. Here is the link to post your photos in the Creative Team Technique Challenges section of the gallery prior to noon PST Thursday 1/30. And then come back to the challenge thread and leave a comment about your experience.

Each Thursday I will draw a random winner from those who posted their results AND left a comment here and will send a small prize. New jump start challenges will be posted on Thursdays. If you have a specific jump start you would like to be a challenge please let me know.

Challenge players do not need to participate in the Jump Start videos. This presenter does not give verbal description of how to do these techniques. So here are notes-

This week's challenge:Jump Start # 26 Cuchy
    Challenge posted 1/24- Deadline 1/30 noon PST

3 things to do with a paper napkin

Napkin technique #1 to make a card:
    materials used- a paper napkin, regular cardstock plastic cling film wrap, parchment or copy paper to protect your iron from the melting pastic.
    • Open napkin, Cut one quarter of the napkin to use for your card. Napkins come in 2 or 4 ply. Separate layers to only use top layer. Cut to size and shape desired for card.
    • You are now going to make a layered "sandwich" with plastic wrap between the napkin and cardstock instead of using glue since glue may leave wrinkles or cause the ink to run. So begin the base sandwich with some scrap paper to protect the surface you will iron on; next the card stock you want the napkin to attached to-top of cardstock will be face up; a piece of plastic wrap a tad larger than cardstock; and then position napkin face up on the cardstock. Cover the napkin with a sheet of thin computer printer paper or parchment paper to protect iron from melted plastic.
    • Using the "no steam" setting, press the card with firm pressure, holding it for 15-20 seconds on each part of the card**. Allow to cool about 1 minute. Slowly pull back the paper and inspect the corners of the card to ensure the napkin has adhered to the card. If not, put the paper back over it and iron again.
    • Trim napkin as desired and finish card.

*Added Notes:**Shackies found it took considerable time to heat the plastic long enough for it to adhere to the cardstock. Please be sure to keep the iron moving at the suggested times of 15-20 sec in one location to avoid scorching or potential fire hazard. Please stay alert, safe and have fun!

Napkin Technique #2. In a journal: Materials used-: a journal, paper napkin in pieces, gel medium, gesso, hair comb or similar object, markers

Napkin Technique #3. Flower: Materials used-layers of a paper napkin and a string.
    Thanks for playing!
    Last edited by Far North; 01-30-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: clarified instructions

Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

oh cool!! thanks jan

question? The plastic wrap basically acts as the glue to hold the napking to cardstock, is that right?
    Sarah

That's what it sounds like, doesn't it, Sarah. Cool, if so!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

5. Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Yes Sarah, instead of glue the idea is the plastic wrap melts and adheres the napkin and the cardstock together. This part is the only time sensitive part. I thought mine was done a couple times but after taking a peak I had to heat 2 corners longer.
    No problem I just didn't want them popping loose in the mail.

6. Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Here is an example of this technique I used for making a card. Once one develops an understanding of this technique the napkins pieces are very fast to make.

I made a Christmas card since I only seemed to have Christmas napkins! I did try a snowflake one but couldn't' get it to stick to the cardstock well enough to make into a card. Here is the Angel Napkin card.
    HeatherJ

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

8. Re: Jump Start #2 Using a napkin-Open 1.25 to 2.1.13

Fabulous Christmas card Heather! Thanks for playing! Actually I think this is a great way to use up napkins if there is only 1 or 2 left after a party. I recall one co-worker who picked the couple leftover napkins after staff functions for his wife...and when asked how she used them, he responded that she made cards with them. Now we know her secret!

Thanks too for your tip about the generic brand not working as well as Saran Wrap. I certainly would have thought the opposite.

Heather that is so pretty! You should make them for your cards next year! Although of course you only have a few napkins.

and that is good to know about the Saran. All I have is the store brand so if I tank I'll have to consider than and not just inferior doings on my part. Dang and we just got back from the grocery store.

Kathy

Yes, I really expected the cheap one to stick better and melt faster, too. It did stick nicely to the napkin part, just never adhered to the cardstock.
    HeatherJ

+ Reply to Thread