+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?-picture added

Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?-picture added

Someone sent me a quilt piece she had made as a rak last year and I can't bear to make it into a card and give it away because then I won't have it anymore to admire! I was looking online and saw that W plus 9 has a quilt die which is very nice, but surely there must be an easy way to do this without me buying a die?

Any hints from the pros out there?

This is pretty much what I would like to do, or a similar quilt design. I don't sew or quilt and I would never be able to get my cutter to perfectly cut these teeny squares! I may be doomed to getting the dies.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by maxiesmom; 02-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Kathy

Re: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?

Can you post a picture? I am envisioning lots of squares of different patterned papers, but perhaps that is not what it is. I use a square punch on those types.
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

I've done something like that by gluing strips of paper down and then used a spellbinders die to cut out a shape. Is that kinda what you mean?
    Dee

The one I got involves lots of little squares and triangles. The square punch I have is too big and awful, haven't used it in years, tears the edges and I can get it to not do so. Even my smallest sq. nestie I don't think would work. http://www.wplus9.com/dies-1/?sort=featured&page=2 The die I like is on this page, hopefully, 3rd row down on the right end. Quilt Cuts 2 die would work for it using a combination of 2 of them. Will take a pic of my little rak after work.

Kathy

Those dies look fun! I like the other one too!
    Dee

Couldn't you just cut any design up and put it in some sort of quilt design. Like punching a star, or different size blocks and cutting them to fit inside of one bigger. Would be the same as actual quilting.-Nancy

7. Re: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?

Kathy, I am not sure what you want to do in making the card...
    • Do you want the design to be as much as possible like the small piece you received?
    • or do you want to make a pieced paper quilt look?
    • or will any quilted design look be okay...Like using embossing folders or designer printed paper?

I agree a picture will be most helpful.

Re: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?-picture added

I would love to be able to quilt paper also...could we... cut strips, put them together with an "over/under/over under" pattern then lay it on a base that's "sticky"?? But then you've got a couple of pieces here and there that are diff than the over/under papers..those would have to be cut and glued down seperately???How far off am I??

Re: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?-picture added

I'd probably have to "weave" it first then attach it to something. I envision trying to weave whilst stuck on and things sticking as I am weaving!

Kathy

10. Re: Quilt look cards, is there an easy way to do them?-picture added

I will throw out thoughts about how I approach this design and hope others will add.

I have made paper pieced quilt design cards in the past and to me this looks like this is a nice simple design to start with.

I would purchase/borrow a 1" square punch to make this design. (Later you can use it for making inchies) Your finished quilt design will be 5x5" and the card itself will probably be a 5.5 x5.5. If this sounds too big...find a smaller punch.

For your first card I would mimick the material designs and colors as much as possible to keep it simple.

I would prepare a 5x5 paper base with a hand drawn grid lines 1" apart (or size of the square punch you use). If you have a Xyron lay down a layer of adhesive over top of your grid. Or you may want to use Zig liquid adhesive...or whatever you find works.

4 of your darker blue squares will be cut diagonially in half to create your triangles.

You may find it easiest to start in the center and lay in your 1st square and then your triangles may be easier since they will be on the outer edge.

Happy creating!

+ Reply to Thread