+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A follow up to Paula's post....

Re: A follow up to Paula's post....

Quote Originally Posted by Far North View Post
    Paula, I agree mental health is one of our largest problems...and the shift after doing away with MH institutions has not been satisfactory. My concern with the drug abusers out of prisons and on the street is that they can seriously impact innocent people's lives mostly by stealing and some physical harm including death.
    All great points Jan. There is just such a lack of care for mental health issues especially in NC...the legislatures reformed a few yeas ago and made it much more difficult to access for those who want care.

2. Re: A follow up to Paula's post....

Paula, I am not aware of NC's reform but poor mental health services is raising to national awareness.

In Alaska we can't pay new pyschiatrists enough for them to want move to the state. We have to hire ones that come for a few months at a time and hopefully return. Unfortunately many of the clients get frustrated with "starting over" with their story. Most clients can't even get scheduled for an inital Psychiatric Review for 3 months...which is horrible since most of their problems need help immediately.

In reviewing how to decrease the mass school shootings after Newtown solutions, mental health services were often mentioned as needing improvement. Unfortunately solutions in that area will take longer to determine and implement than more alternatives like more stingent background checks for gun purchases.

+ Reply to Thread