+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do y'all "mend"??

1. Do y'all "mend"??

I've spent the afternoon, fixing split seams & rips, sewing buttons, adding elastic to the skinny lad's bathers.... I put it all off until there is a pile so high I can't see my sewing machine then am SOOOO sick of it by the time I'm done I'm ready to throw them all away & just buy more. Do you guys sew up seams or toss the garment?? Most of my seams today were on Becca & my nightgowns. I discovered that Macy's no longer sells "fat chicks who don't want to look 90" nightgowns so I figured I better fix all of my old ones until I can find some "ample" gowns online!!

Re: Do y'all "mend"??

I am a mender without a sewing machine, so I can only do very simple things. Anything a little more involved I have my mom do it! I am sewing machine impaired, I can't even manage those little machines that sew on cards! don't know what it is, I'm a smart person yet I can't master a sewing machine.

Good luck finding new nightgowns.

Kathy

Yes I mend too but I save when I have a nice little stack-usually buttons and seams. I have a sewing machine and can sew but try hard not to get it out often. Its gotta be worth it for me to set it up.

We have an unofficial division of labour in our, when it comes to mending. If it is to done on a sewing machine, that is me. If it is a "by hand" thing, Fred does it. Yup, he did all the girl guide and army cadet badges!!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

I mend but I don't usually have a ton to do just every so often and I do it on a sewing machine

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    We have an unofficial division of labour in our, when it comes to mending. If it is to done on a sewing machine, that is me. If it is a "by hand" thing, Fred does it. Yup, he did all the girl guide and army cadet badges!!
    Hpw great that Fred can do that!

My sewing abilities, are just doing buttons.
    shelley

My SIL used to brag that she got three washes out of duct tape hems, and only one if she used masking tape!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

9. Re: Do y'all "mend"??

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    My SIL used to brag that she got three washes out of duct tape hems, and only one if she used masking tape!
    OMG!!! That's too funny!!!! Hmmm, I may have to try that. LOL

I sew buttons and split seams and hems/alterations on jeans. My sewing machine is always accessible. My boys seem to split the crotch in their shorts quite regularly. I prefer to fix them the same day so I don't have a job hanging over my head to be sprung on me when it's "URGENT" and totally inconvenient. I do confess to once stapling the hem of a pair of my son's school pants when he let me know that the hem had fallen down on one side with about 5 minutes left before he went to school.
    One thing I don't do is darn socks. They are so cheap to buy that I couldn't be bothered.
    Sarah

+ Reply to Thread