+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You learn something every day!!!

You learn something every day!!!

Three years ago I bought a new dishwasher. I chose MAYTAG b/c I thought it would be the last one I'd every need to buy. Ha!! Maybe 3 weeks ago I pushed the button to start and nothing started. I pushed it a few more times, still nothing. Mind you, it's not a real button...it's electronic I guess. You push the dot in and something happens inside. Well, nothing happened inside. I checked all the breakers, gfi's , nothing. My son is an electrician so I called him to ask what else can I do? He lives a couple of hours away so he's not running over. He said if all the breakers etc are good than you must call a repairman. Well, I had a service contract so I did. He comes. He takes the door off, pokes a few places, tells me it needs a fuse. Goes to his truck....no fuses. He says he'll order one and it will be here (at my house) in a week. Makes an apt with me for a week from that day. Now I'm thinking ugg--gotta unload the dw and wash them by hand!!! So a week goes by, my hands are chapped, he finally comes back that day. BUT, it's a different man. Ok, so he puts the fuse in and BINGO it runs. So I start asking questions and talking to him. I said I thought Maytag was good forever...best you can buy, blah blah blah, he says "well, they used to be. Westinghouse took Maytag over now. I say well, how long should I expect it to last? I've only had it 3 years! He says hmmm, maybe 5 or 6 years! Is it me???? Should I not expect any more than that??? What kind do you have? Any recommendations???

Re: You learn something every day!!!

We have never found a dishwasher that lasts! We haven't tried Magtag, but I bet every other brand out there. 4 years on the average and that is not enough in my mind. Our fridge is still going at 22 years!
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

it stinks..everything id so disposable now..yet everyone keeps crying about full landfills..well duh, make crap that last!!
    sigh..

I agree with both of you!!! And it's not like any of them are priced like disposable! And I only use mine 2 or 3 times a week!!!

5. Re: You learn something every day!!!

We've lived here 18 years and are on our third dishwasher!!! I think I've gotten GE all 3 times but not 100% sure. But, I'm trying to treat my d/w better now & use the cleaners & such. Our last one WORKED fine but the lime deposits (or whatever the nasty white stuff the built up on EVERYTHING) killed it. I HATE replacing appliances!!!! We got 20+ years out of our Fridge so that is good. Im pretty sure we're on our 3rd stove & 3rd washing machine. The dryer is still running strong after 24 years.... I swear my parents had the same appliances the ENTIRE time I as growing up. O course, my dad worked part time as a repairman so maybe that's why??? When our last washing machine bit the dust, I COULD have called a repairman but, it was $125 for him to come out!!! Plus parts if he fixed anything. Since it appeared the tub had broken away from whatever holds the tub in place, I figured it would be cheaper to replace....

Yeah, I'm thinking I should buy the cheapest one I can find, and a service contract for it. Seems like it would come out even!!!

We bought a Bosch in 2002. Knock on wood....hate to say it...it's still OK!
    It is smaller inside, but usually there are just the 2 of us. When the kids are here we run it every day. When they aren't here, it's more like every other day or more.
    Hope yours will have a new lease on life now!!!

Geez maybe I dont want a dishwasher, for just two people. I really want a cupboard there instead. Then someday when the house is sold the space is there. Lets see if I get a new dishwasher I would need more dishes and glasses and most of the time they would be in the dishwasher. No not getting one, I can wash them and use rubber gloves or whatever they are made of since they fall apart all the time also.-Nancy

Can't remember how old our dishwasher is, less than 10 yrs. I will guess. We have a Frigidaire and it was kind of cheap, but I didn't want all the bells and whistles, I just wanted a dishwasher. It's just the 2 of us as well. While our GE fridge is from 1995, I HATE it. We have had major things go wrong, but fortunately they were things that were also warrantied or just out of warranty so they did fix them. This last time it went we now have a friend who does heating/cooling so he worked on it and hubby helped. Next time, it goes bye bye! Have not had good luck with GE appliances in my family, don't know why I bought it. Our oven is a Magic Chef and is about 20 yrs old. Like your Maytag, I don't think they are owned by whoever they used to be(if they are even still around).

Kathy

Yeah, my mom hade a magic chef stove...I don't ever remember her getting a new one!! I don't know if it's having a fuse to run the dw or what, but what was wrong with the old fashioned dial that you turn??? It worked fine for years!!! I truly believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!

+ Reply to Thread