+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peace at last!!!

Peace at last!!!

Im excited....I finally have my tutoring schedule for this school year!!! This year, because I'm going to be in a different school than I was in last year, I'm going to be able to work all my hours within 2 days, and have 5 days free!!! This will be a magnet school, and I've never been in one, so I don't know what to expect. I start 2 weeks from this Monday passed. This job is through AARP, called the "Experience Corp". Don't really get paid, but you get a small stipend. What you do get is credit for some money to be applied to educational costs for yourself, your children, or your grandchildren. Since I have 1 gs in college now, and 2 that will be there within the next 3 years, I thought this could help them.

Anyway, now I'll have 5 days a week free to pick up the house and stamp!!! Last year I only had 3 days to myself, and worked 4 days. Lets see how much I can get done!!!

Re: Peace at last!!!

That sounds like a great gig, Patty.
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Sounds like fun. You will have to tell us more!

Well---they say ""nothing lasts forever"! How true....I received a call this am asking me if I would mind switching schools, AND changing my schedule to 3 half-days instead of 2 full ones. It is the same hours, so I said ok. This school is about 3 times closer to home for me, so I said OK. In order to qualify for the education credits, I need to put in at least 300 hours, so I'm ok there! We'll see!

5. Re: Peace at last!!!

Happy to hear you have a great schedule this year!

My niece and nephew attend a magnet school. Generally there is a one defined topic for the school. Their school focuses on is music and they must audition to be accepted into the school. My niece participates in the voice and piano classes and my nephew is in dance classes. The content of the "regular" classes relates to music. Lots of learning is connected to their performances and productions. Since the students are learning about a topic they are highly interested in there tends to be a really upbeat, enthusiastic feeling in the school. Hope you find the same Patty!

Here we have a science related magnetic school where they study and research our unique regional location such as the aurora, earthquakes and robotics. Some of the students are involved in national Lego robot competitions.

I have never heard of working for education credits. I don't think we have that system in Australia. It sounds like a marvellous way to get more helpers/volunteers in schools. Imagine how much we could enrich our programs, and how many "under the radar" kids we could reach and extend if we had an extra adult 3 half days a week.
    You are a blessing Patty.
    Sarah

now that's my kind of shcedule!!

Quote Originally Posted by loobylou View Post
    I have never heard of working for education credits. I don't think we have that system in Australia. It sounds like a marvellous way to get more helpers/volunteers in schools. Imagine how much we could enrich our programs, and how many "under the radar" kids we could reach and extend if we had an extra adult 3 half days a week.
    You are a blessing Patty.
    Don't fell bad, Sarah. I have never heard of them either.

Kathy

This program is for "senior citizens". The article in the newspaper that caught my eye had a headline of "no one under 55 need apply'. It is part of AARP, and is called "Experience Corps". We are sort of volunteers. It is kind of an odd set up. We each get assigned to a school....several of us to each school, and we work with Kgn through 2nd grade. Most of us are assigned to schools you might consider "underpriviledged. We need to put in 300 hours each year in order to qualify. Most of our hours are worked working with children. The children who are chosen for us to work with are typically children who need help in reading. The rest of the time is either training, or service, i.e. this summer I volunteered at a Farmers' Market manning a table for 3 hours many Friday afternoons to give away books to children. The entire focus is getting children interested in reading. We receive a small stipend and a credit for an average of $1300 credit for education past high school for either us, our children or grandchildren. It's not a great deal of money, but it helps, and I cannot tell you how the children react to you. I never thought I would get that attached...I wanted to bring each one home. Many of them get very little help at home...some parents don't speak Englsh...It really makes you feel like you're "doing something good".

This post needs a "LIKE" button
    Sarah

+ Reply to Thread