+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tough old bird!

Tough old bird!

I know I have been called worse, but I am referring to the turkey we had last night at Fred's mom. The dark meat was fine, but the white meat was like shoe leather. Chewy and tough. I managed to get it down as I didn't want to hurt her feelings but man, it was awful. Gravy might have helped but I don't eat it. She always gives me the rack so of course, I took it. Now I am wondering if I will bother to try to use it and risk wasting the carrots and quinoa . I guess I could just make the stock and save it.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I thought of running it through the food processor and just having shreds
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Re: Tough old bird!

Racheal ray swears by this..when you have tough or dry chicken/turkey soak it in a pan of warm stock, it will drink up the juice and be teh most moist ever. doesn't hurt to try it

3. Re: Tough old bird!

Great idea Cindi!
    Teresa

I did end up putting the rack in the pot to give it a try. I cleaned the breast meat off and put it in a steamer. The rack meat is a lot more tender and the steamed breast isn't too bad either. It would work for a hot sandwich I think. I took a chance and added the curry, quinoa, apple and carrots so I now have soup!
    HeatherJ

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    Racheal ray swears by this..when you have tough or dry chicken/turkey soak it in a pan of warm stock, it will drink up the juice and be teh most moist ever. doesn't hurt to try it
    I have heard Rachel say the same thing. It makes sense.
    shelley

It makes perfect sense and really soaked up the water / broth. Mind you curry and apple will make anything taste great in my mind.
    HeatherJ

yay, heather saved the "tough ole bird"
    lol

Turkey is so tricky anyway if you don't really pay attention to it. Glad it all worked out.

Kathy

+ Reply to Thread