+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some good news to share

Some good news to share

David and I bought a cottage this week! We closed on Wed. We've been trying to get it since the summer of 2013. The place is next door to my father in law and we saw a sign in the window that it was going up for auction. After months and months of it being postponed, it was simply withdrawn. Fast forward to last summer when we kept seeing stuff being done over there and David or his dad would go over and start talking to the workers. We found out it had been sold in April and finally went on the market after Labor Day for WAY too much money.

Fast forward again to the last week in Dec. I happened to go online to see what places were for sale in that area and what do I see but MY cottage and the price had been dropped 20,000 from when it was first listed. David didn't get a chance to call on it right away, good thing too. I went to show my brother online on NY Day and saw that on NY Eve they dropped the price another 10,000. David said heck with the holiday and texted him right away.

It has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a family/dining room, laundry area, attached garage, shed(of course kitchen, living room too) oh and a double lot so we aren't right on top of my father in law! So we have our own place, don't have to worry about him being cranky about our dogs and he can watch over it for us since he pretty much lives up there now. We're pretty excited, a lot of the things from my moms house we can just take up there now. Nobody expects a cottage to be furnished in brand new furniture, right!

So that's my big news, we're pretty happy about it. I don't think happier than FIL though since he's planning on storing a bunch of his stuff in our garage!

Kathy

Re: Some good news to share

Wonderful! I say you are starting 2015 off with a bang!! Congrats!! Show us a pic when you can!! No new furniture needed! I love cottages!

Congrats!!!

AWESOME!! congrats!!! share pics with us when you can

Congrads to you!
    shelley

Congratulations. How far is the cottage from home? Is it by the sea/woods or what? Sounds great having a built in caretaker!
    Sarah

It's not quite an hour and a half away and we are very close to Lake Huron(for Sarah, this is one of the 5 "Great Lakes" as they are called and that surround Michigan). I'll need to see how far it is on the odometer one day, pretty sure it's less than 1/2 mile to the beach. Except that I am a baby and like my water warm!! Unless we are having unseasonably warm weather, even by July 4 it will still be too chilly for me. I may go in, but I'll be chilly! Hubby grew up going there so he's used to it as are the nieces and nephews. I'm a princess!

Kathy

Thanks for the geography lesson. I have never heard of Lake Huron before. I find lakes are cold at the bottom even when the water is warm on top, plus I don't like the muddy/soft/smooshy floor. I always wear reef shoes in a lake! I do love to fish in lakes though. Do you have a boat, or is the fishing good from the shore?
    Sarah

We had a boat until the raccoons got into it a few winters ago. As it was an '88, I believe and the damage was pretty extensive- electrical as well as upholstery, plus they wormed their way into the cabin and trashed that too, David had a friend who actually wanted to buy it and fix it up. Ok, more power to ya, buddy! People fish from the rocks in the harbor in town but I don't think I've ever seen anyone fish from the beach. I always wear water shoes too, up until a few years ago there were a lot of rocks as you first went into the water but last year the sand bar was incredibly close.

Some more geography- our state, Michigan, the one shaped like a mitten, the lakes that surround it are what are considered the "Great Lakes" in the US. In fact, we're the Great Lake state.

Kathy

10. Re: Some good news to share

Yeah! Glad to hear all went well with the closing!!! It must have been meant to be!
    Jennifer
    DT Member for DRS Designs
    My Blog: Ink N' Scrap Habits
    My March 2013 {Winning} Bingo Numbers: 6, 14, 19, 29, 47, 52, 63, 79, 84, 91

+ Reply to Thread