+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Whaddya Think?

Okay after much thought...I think that a membership fee to access parts of the website is good idea, for example the templates. Sherry what about designing another stamp (like the vintage santa) that we could do as a fun raiser? We would all buy a stamp. I also still like the idea of T-shirts...I could organize it since I have order many shirts for the college that I worked and the college that I went too! We could form a committee and get the ball rolling!

~K
    Hugs,

You are special. Never stop believing that.

My Blog

2. Jennifer hit the nail right on the head. I don't think $15.00 or even $20.00 is too much to ask for all of the service that Sherry offers us. That's less than $2.00 a month. I am also in agreeance on the status thing. I don't think that would be a good idea with giving someone a title as to how much they donated.

A question for Sherry: If we "pay" a membership fee, will you have to pay some sort of taxes? If we called it a membership "donation" would that be better? Just thinking of the legal side of things.

Mary
    The One And Only
    Mary Rogers

2 Blogs available, PM for an invite

3. Here are some of my thoughts:
    A "trial" membership of 30 days free when you sign up to be part of the stamp shack.
    After the 30 days, a "basic" membership of $5/yr allows access to the written forum sections, swap board & viewing of the gallery
    A "full" membership of $10/yr allows you to post photos to the gallery, participate in chat and download templates.
    ...oops, wrong hat!

4. I agree with Kim and Christie - I don't think having status levels is a good idea. If we did go with a membership fee, I think it would be best to go with one amount. There is always the option of sending donations if someone is feeling really generous

As far as membership fees go, perhaps $15 is too high. While I wouldn't expect to take in as much money as Kim forcasted as we only have 160-180 users who frequent the site on a daily basis, there would be a potential surplus. If all 180 members were to subscribe (which is highly unlikely) at $10 per year, that would be $1800. $1540 of this would go to server fees leaving a remainder of $260. Where would this extra money go? Well, users are requesting additional features on the swap board and, let me tell you, paying for custom coding is NOT cheap! I have already spent over $1200 out of my own pocket for swap board coding not to mention the $300 that was donated by Shack members. There is also the forum software license which will be up for renewal in October. And, what if the site grows even more popular? We would have to upgrade the port or add another one to allow for faster connections and more members. There is no doubt about it - the cost of maintaining a website, especially a popular one, is not cheap.

I would love nothing better to keep this website absolutely free, but I cannot afford the cost of upgrading to a dedicated server on my own. If we want to keep this website alive with all of the features it currently has, we must ralley together and come up with a way to raise money.

We could do without membership fees and rely soley on donations OR we could implement a yearly fee for templates OR I could always do what most other website do and install advertisments. While this is unsightly and EXTREMELY annoying in my opinion, it can create revenue if it is done properly.

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingflower View Post
    Here are some of my thoughts:
    A "trial" membership of 30 days free when you sign up to be part of the stamp shack.
    After the 30 days, a "basic" membership of $5/yr allows access to the written forum sections, swap board & viewing of the gallery
    A "full" membership of $10/yr allows you to post photos to the gallery, participate in chat and download templates.

Here's my thought,
    How about a $5 full membership fee then we charge per template. Like maybe a dollar per template, that will help bring in more money throughout the year.

Yes, after giving this some thought while taking my shower, I decided pretty much the same thing about the scholarship ideas. Too much potential for hurt feelings....misuse...etc.
    I do like the ideas of members...all members paying the same amount...and having full access to the site. Trial members would be able to view everything, but not post to the Gallery, download templates, and possibly other limitations.
    I know we can work this out to everyone's liking!
    Joanie

I still think a 30 day free membership

would be fine and everyone pay a certain amount for yearly dues. This ends up also as a bookkeeping feature, that could take a lot of time. Anyone who doesn't pay with in a certain period of time is out. I think Sherrie should put it to a vote and take it from there. Anyone not liking it, would just be out. Sounds tough but that is how it would have to be. Yearly sign ups and payment should be no bother except, of course, to Sherrie. For the cost of one stamp you would have yearly enjoyment access to this site. - Nancy

Count me in. I think that is more than reasonable.

9. If we are speaking of a fee, is the amount we are talking about in Canadian $?

I tend to favor the more creative ways to fund the Shack. I like the idea of creating something that people would want to buy. Especially if is something like a rubber stamp that people outside of the Shack would want to purchase. If everyone here bought one, made cute stuff and posted it on their blogs with a link on where to buy the cute stamp, a lot of people would want that cute stamp.

The financial burden is an issue but I am more concerned about creating a deterrent for people who are not already in love with the Shack. I love it when new people join us and bring their ideas and outlook. I don't want someone to click in, see a fee thingy, click out and never return.

What about doing a product spotlight on the newsletter and having the product pay for the exposure.

We are creative people. Let's think of something creative. Why can't some of the money come from outside the Shack users?
    Heather

We Grow By Our Dreams (my blog)
    Grow Home (my Etsy store where I sell vintage stuff)

+ Reply to Thread